Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists are smarter than Christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheists are smarter than Christians?

Is there any truth to this, because the way I see it, it goes both ways.
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    I think that there are very often people who confuse statistics which say that more educated people are more likely to be atheist for the idea that atheists are smarter than Christians.

There are plenty of stupid atheists, and there are plenty of brilliant Christians. The fact that higher education statistically implies atheism does not mean that atheism implies greater intelligence.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

IIRC atheists score about 5% higher on IQ tests on average. But they also have a disproportionate number of the lower end of the IQ curve.

With regards to academia, it's definitely more friendly to atheists than to Christians, though that also depends on what field you're in. Which is the cause and which is the effect depends on who you ask.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        IIRC atheists score about 5% higher on IQ tests on average. But they also have a disproportionate number of the lower end of the IQ curve.

With regards to academia, it's definitely more friendly to atheists than to Christians, though that also depends on what field you're in. Which is the cause and which is the effect depends on who you ask.
        The average IQ in the USA is between 95-100 right? If it is that's nothing to brag about
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I remember reading something about how the smartest religious group (well smarter than atheists at least, its been a few years) are atheists who became Christians.

Nevertheless, I think the correct path of action if you find someone exposing the intellectual superiority of fundie atheism is...

"Then what is your excuse? "

There are plenty of stupid atheists, and there are plenty of brilliant Christians. The fact that higher education statistically implies atheism does not mean that atheism implies greater intelligence.
          I would add in addition to this that more higher education doesn't always correlate to increased intelligence. I've met many people with just high school diplomas who were able to self-teach themselves vital and important skills...

and while I was in the Physical Therapy doctorate program, a lot of my classmates were dumber than rocks.
          Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 01-10-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

by necessity.

Its easy to look at Paley's watch and assume intelligent design.

You would need above average brainpower to be able to come up with theories about how a watch could come into existance from nature with no intelligent planning involved.

You would have to be like a super slick high-dollar lawyer who gets guilty criminals 'not-guilty' verdicts.

im not smart enough to be an atheist. i am what i am.
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Here's an interesting study:

Abstract

A meta-analysis of 63 studies showed a significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity. The association was stronger for college students and the general population than for participants younger than college age; it was also stronger for religious beliefs than religious behavior. For college students and the general population, means of weighted and unweighted correlations between intelligence and the strength of religious beliefs ranged from -.20 to -.25 (mean r = -.24). Three possible interpretations were discussed. First, intelligent people are less likely to conform and, thus, are more likely to resist religious dogma. Second, intelligent people tend to adopt an analytic (as opposed to intuitive) thinking style, which has been shown to undermine religious beliefs. Third, several functions of religiosity, including compensatory control, self-regulation, self-enhancement, and secure attachment, are also conferred by intelligence. Intelligent people may therefore have less need for religious beliefs and practices.

source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23921675

Comment

This has zero application to the intelligence of individual believers or skeptics.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The average IQ in the USA is between 95-100 right? If it is that's nothing to brag about
                  95-100 is pretty good for a national IQ actually. The highest (South Korea) is still below 110. With regards to atheists being smarter, the difference is too small for them to really have anything to brag about regardless of the average.
                  Last edited by Darth Executor; 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This reminds me of a story that one of the US Presidents was alarmed when he heard that roughly half the country's populace had below-average intelligence.

Meh, got nothin'. But the story is amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      The fact that higher education statistically implies atheism does not mean that atheism implies greater intelligence.
                      And becoming an atheist won't make you smarter.

It does eliminate bad-hair days, though.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        And becoming an atheist won't make you smarter.

It does eliminate bad-hair days, though.
                        I can certainly agree to that. I'm not any smarter, now, than I was when I was a strongly-believing Evangelical Christian. But, hot damn, does my hair look good, now...
                        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Bad hair days are God's megaphone.

(Apologies to C. S. Lewis.)

Comment

I do not understand "bad hair day."
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              The fact that higher education statistically implies atheism does not mean that atheism implies greater intelligence.
                              Atheism being the opposite of religiosity, and religiosity negatively correlated with intelligence, then atheism does imply greater probability of increased intelligence, according to the meta-analysis posted by Scrawly. Dogmatic belief and intuitive thinking, characteristic of religiosity, are not associated with intelligence.
                              Last edited by Joseph; 01-24-2015, 02:33 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X