Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

It REALLY is the religion of peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It REALLY is the religion of peace

A friend and I were speaking and I brought up went happened in Australia, and she swears by her friends(which some are Muslim) that it really is a "peaceful religion" . I know a few bits and pieces that shows in the Quran that this is not exactly so, and of course I've read stuff here and there on Tweb.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out; is Islam a peaceful religion or not?

(Wasn't sure where to post this thread move it if you have to.)
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

As with all faiths, Islam is not just one thing and must be judged by how people live it out. There are many muslims who live out their faith with integrity and good will. We only tend to hear about the lunatics.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      As with all faiths, Islam is not just one thing and must be judged by how people live it out. There are many muslims who live out their faith with integrity and good will. We only tend to hear about the lunatics.
      I'm not asking for what the people preach, but for what their holy book preaches.
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Books don't really 'preach'. To be sure there is violent stuff in the Koran, just like there is in the Bible.

Comment

Books don't really 'preach'. To be sure there is violent stuff in the Koran, just like there is in the Bible.
          You're not really showing the info I'm asking;you're just basically doing as my friend did.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            You're not really showing the info I'm asking;you're just basically doing as my friend did.
            Sorry, but because you're on a conservative Christian site, you're going to get a conservative Christian response. That's fine if that's all you're looking for.

I suggest you look at a variety of responses: here

and here to balance some of the responses that I know are coming.

Comment

The Quran (the holy book itself) and Hadith (stories from the life of Muhammad, who is generally understood to be the perfect example of virtue, so his example is authoritative) are both potentially ambiguous; there are contradictory statements within the Quran, and which interpretation prevails depends on which verse is understood to be abrogated.

The majority of Muslims in most parts of the world probably tend toward a generally peaceful understanding of their religion.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                The Quran (the holy book itself) and Hadith (stories from the life of Muhammad, who is generally understood to be the perfect example of virtue, so his example is authoritative) are both potentially ambiguous; there are contradictory statements within the Quran, and which interpretation prevails depends on which verse is understood to be abrogated.

The majority of Muslims in most parts of the world probably tend toward a generally peaceful understanding of their religion.
                But there are suras that point in the exact opposite direction of what they believe, correct?

Comment

But there are suras that point in the exact opposite direction of what they believe, correct?
                  Yes, and, given the nature of the Islamic tradition of scriptural interpretation, it is possible to interpret those verses as authoritative.
                  Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Have you heard of Dr. Nabeel Qureshi? He's a Christian convert, former devout Muslim. He and David Wood are quite prolific in debating Islam and definitely know their stuff. Here are a few videos to help you along:

Comment

Another thing to consider is that no one has the original Koran as such. It has been altered and old versions destroyed. This has happened more than once. I do not know if any of the old versions ever survived, but the currently accepted Koran is much later in time than Muhammad. This is in contrast to the existence of many old biblical texts and fragments that can be compared to come quite close to what the original text said.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is a popcorn free zone.
                          Cereal only.

Comment

This is a popcorn free zone.
                            Cereal only.
                            Popcorn is made from corn. Cornflakes are made from corn (sort of). Just consider it "exploded cornflakes".
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sorry, but because you're on a conservative Christian site, you're going to get a conservative Christian response. That's fine if that's all you're looking for.
                              I believe this is called "poisoning the well." I thought you were better than that - and you know that we have quite a variety of posters here.
                              I suggest you look at a variety of responses: here

and here to balance some of the responses that I know are coming.
                              The Muslim sects that eschew violence are in the extreme minority. That many Muslims are peaceful has more to do with human nature than anything written in the Koran AFAICT. Islam was born in treachery and conquest, and has largely been spread through the same. Non-Muslims living in Muslim countries are usually allowed to live in peace, as long as they pay the jizya like good little dhimmis and keep their heads down. Whitewash all you want, but the Armenian genocide is but the latest large-scale occurrence of has happened several times throughout history in Muslim-dominated areas - and the Sunni-Shia conflict has been a bloody one through the ages as well.

It would take a fundamental shift in Islamic thought to make the abrogation of the later, more violent suras by the peaceful early suras anything like a majority.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X