Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interesting maps: The largest non-Christian religion by state/county in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting maps: The largest non-Christian religion by state/county in the US

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ate/?tid=sm_fb

They also have county by county data on the most popular denomination by state. For most of the US, it's either the RCC or the SBC.

(For the purposes of this data, they count Mormonism under Christianity, otherwise a few states would look a little different).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

(For the purposes of this data, they count Mormonism under Christianity,
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Very interesting maps.

Comment

Lots of Baha'i in South Carolina, which I think is where Shunyadragon is located. Wonder why there and no where else? Perhaps he is a zealous missionary.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Lots of Baha'i in South Carolina, which I think is where Shunyadragon is located. Wonder why there and no where else? Perhaps he is a zealous missionary.
          It's for the same reason there are a lot of Somali immigrants and refugees in Minnesota. Immigrants congregate where they know they will find people with whom they have something in common-- or, at least, will have ready access to places of worship.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Polls like that can only go by self-identification. LDS is technically a Christian cult or something similar, for all that it's considered severely heretical by mainstream Christians.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Polls like that can only go by self-identification. LDS is technically a Christian cult or something similar, for all that it's considered severely heretical by mainstream Christians.
              They're atheists by Thomistic standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                They're atheists by Thomistic standards.
                I think LDs is more polytheistic then atheistic by any standards.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I think LDs is more polytheistic then atheistic by any standards.
                  Most polytheists would probably also be atheists by Thomistic standards.

Comment

No, I am in North Carolina. There are many Baha'is in every state of the USA, and nation and island of the world. It just so happens in the USA South Carolina has the most Baha'is.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      No, I am in North Carolina. There are many Baha'is in every state of the USA, and nation and island of the world. It just so happens in the USA South Carolina has the most Baha'is.
                      I lived in Charlotte for a year, but I love, love, love South Carolina, especially the Charleston area. No particular reason why there are so many Bahai in South Carolina?
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        From a sociological perspective, it would be the correct identification. My personal religious views don't have to affect how I acknowledge that.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I lived in Charlotte for a year, but I love, love, love South Carolina, especially the Charleston area. No particular reason why there are so many Bahai in South Carolina?
                          Most of the Baha'is in South Carolina are rural blacks, includng parts of North Carolina. The growth came in 1950s through the 1970s when local black Baha'is involved in the Civil Rights movement with Martin Luther King, and others like Dizzy Gillespie from rural South Carolina were involved. These areas were neglected by the overall movement and many churches (most not directly involved or matter of factly opposed in promoting change except by individuals). The Baha'i Faith throughout its history inherently opposed any segregation whatsoever by fundamental Doctrine, actively promotes change, and remains a strong advocate of the nonviolent approach to resolution.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            From a sociological perspective, it would be the correct identification. My personal religious views don't have to affect how I acknowledge that.
                            Good for you.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X