Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian distinctives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian distinctives

This thread is to outline Christian distinctives, which do not seem to appear in other religions, with the exception perhaps of Judaism, in some instances.

● Grace - God giving us what we do not deserve, in other religions grace is earned
    ● Mercy - God not giving us what we do deserve
    ● Love - God is love, this is not a principle in other religions
    ● Abba Father - Being in God's family, having him in a relationship as Father
    ● Bride of Christ - Marriage being a picture of our relationship to Christ
    ● Burden bearer - God bearing our burdens
    ● Not tasting death - Death has lost its sting

These are some that come to mind...

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Sacrificial Atonement I would add to the list.

Comment

Prophet, High priest and King of kings - the three fundamental offices essential to the Scriptural roles and offices of Jesus Christ, who is of course, God's promised Messiah.

Comment

Along the lines of Jesus as a prophet, fulfilled prophecy in the Bible comes to mind. Whole books of prophecy!

"Declare and set forth your case;
        Indeed, let them consult together.
        Who has announced this from of old?
        Who has long since declared it?
        Is it not I, the LORD?
        And there is no other God besides Me,
        A righteous God and a Savior;
        There is none except Me." (Isa. 45:21)

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          This thread is to outline Christian distinctives, which do not seem to appear in other religions, with the exception perhaps of Judaism, in some instances.

● Grace - God giving us what we do not deserve, in other religions grace is earned
          ● Mercy - God not giving us what we do deserve
          ● Love - God is love, this is not a principle in other religions
          ● Abba Father - Being in God's family, having him in a relationship as Father
          ● Bride of Christ - Marriage being a picture of our relationship to Christ
          ● Burden bearer - God bearing our burdens
          ● Not tasting death - Death has lost its sting

These are some that come to mind...

Blessings,
          Lee
          The absolute centrality of Christ.

Comment

Election of the nation of Israel:

Source: Lindblom, cited by D.A. Carson

What distinguishes the prophetic view of history from that of other oriental peoples is not the thought that Yahweh works in historical events, but rather that the prophets regarded the history of Israel as a coherent history directed by moral principles and in accordance with a fixed plan. At the beginning of the history stood the fact of election … The events which followed were the consequences of this historical fact; and the final goal of this historical sequence was the full realisation of the idea of election. Other ancient peoples had nothing corresponding to this view of history.

© Copyright Original Source

"For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen." (Rom. 9:3-5)

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

Those are not the words of a self-engrossed heretic, charlatan or new cult-initiator but one who is deeply devoted to his own Hebrew-Jewish roots and heritage. The key difference is that Paul sees Jesus Christ as the promised Messiah, and I might add, as THE unique Son of God WHO alone truly knows God and has been invested the authority and power to impart that knowledge to whomever He elects and chooses for that privilege.

27 "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:27-29

Likewise in another Synoptic Gospel: Luke 10: 22

22 “All things have been committed to me (Jesus Christ) by my Father.

"No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
              Election of the nation of Israel:

Source: Lindblom, cited by D.A. Carson

What distinguishes the prophetic view of history from that of other oriental peoples is not the thought that Yahweh works in historical events, but rather that the prophets regarded the history of Israel as a coherent history directed by moral principles and in accordance with a fixed plan. At the beginning of the history stood the fact of election … The events which followed were the consequences of this historical fact; and the final goal of this historical sequence was the full realisation of the idea of election. Other ancient peoples had nothing corresponding to this view of history.

© Copyright Original Source

"For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen." (Rom. 9:3-5)

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X