Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Religious Holidays in the Workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating Religious Holidays in the Workplace

Some religious holidays are celebrated in the workplace. For example, some companies have potlucks in celebration of Diwali (Hindu festival) or in celebration of the end of Ramadan. Would it be morally wrong to attend those potlucks if you don't believe in those religions? I've heard from others that one does not have to believe in those religions in order to go to those potlucks.

I've never encountered such a thing, and really can't imagine such a company-wide event. Can you give an example of a company doing such a thing?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've never encountered such a thing, and really can't imagine such a company-wide event. Can you give an example of a company doing such a thing?
      Workplace Christmas and Thanksgiving potlucks are not all that uncommon.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Workplace Christmas and Thanksgiving potlucks are not all that uncommon.
        Read the OP - that's not what he's asking about: " potlucks in celebration of Diwali (Hindu festival) or in celebration of the end of Ramadan "
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

is it wrong to go for the free food?
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            is it wrong to go for the free food?
            I have a Jewish friend who, for a time, had the website "unoffendedjew.com". He was a very jovial fella, and would always say stuff like, "Hey, invite me to your Christmas party - I won't be offended - I'll gladly eat your food and drink your booze....."

I think if it actually turned into a religious observance, that'd be different, but if it's a bunch of people having some food and they invite me...

Comment

Read the OP - that's not what he's asking about: " potlucks in celebration of Diwali (Hindu festival) or in celebration of the end of Ramadan "
              Yes, Hindu and Islam religious holidays are not Christian. What reason should we as a Christian avoid attending such an employee/company potluck?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Yes, Hindu and Islam religious holidays are not Christian. What reason should we as a Christian avoid attending such an employee/company potluck?

I think if it actually turned into a religious observance, that'd be different, but if it's a bunch of people having some food and they invite me...

Comment

OK, what in the religious observance of celebration of Diwali would make it morally wrong so to prohibit a Christian from attending a potluck commemorating it? For Ramadan?

Comment

OK, what in the religious observance of celebration of Diwali would make it morally wrong so to prohibit a Christian from attending a potluck commemorating it? For Ramadan?
                    I looked up Diwali and it celebrates light over darkness, good over evil Its also a lot like their Christmas, in that people do some major gift giving. I highly doubt there is anything forbidding the participation in the commemoration of good over evil.
                    Since Ramadan is the commemoration of a false religion or the first revelation of to Mohammed that might get a little trickier. However mealtime isn't associated with prayer like in Christian households
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I would consider the exhortation from Paul to the Thessalonians to abstain from all appearance of evil. To an onlooker, especially one who knows I am a believer and recognizes that I believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation and all other religions are man-centred, it might appear that I am condoning the religion itself by partaking in a celebration of that religion.

And if that onlooker might be considering Christ, it might cause them to say, "Christianity is no different from any other religion".

You never know who's watching you.......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Before anybody quotes Paul's statement about New Moon festivals being okay, I want to point out that refers to a Jewish celebration mentioned in Numbers.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

An example would be a Diwali celebration which is a Hindu holiday. I can imagine someone saying, "You don't have to believe in the Hindu religion in order to celebrate it" or "It's just celebrating cultural diversity."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                            An example would be a Diwali celebration which is a Hindu holiday. I can imagine someone saying, "You don't have to believe in the Hindu religion in order to celebrate it" or "It's just celebrating cultural diversity."
                            I have a pretty good nose for somebody just sharing their culture - "hey, here are some foods we grew up with" - and somebody trying to get me involved in their religion. I really have no idea where you're going with this.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              I would consider the exhortation from Paul to the Thessalonians to abstain from all appearance of evil. To an onlooker, especially one who knows I am a believer and recognizes that I believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation and all other religions are man-centred, it might appear that I am condoning the religion itself by partaking in a celebration of that religion.

And if that onlooker might be considering Christ, it might cause them to say, "Christianity is no different from any other religion".

You never know who's watching you.......
                              That's true. Going to a celebration of that religion would imply that one promotes that religion.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X