Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayer (which is worship) is attributing omniscience to her so they do make her a god.

I already pointed out that many times prayers can be silent. For her to know ALL these prayers - even the silent ones - of the heart would make her the heart-knower of all (omniscient = God).

And that is something ONLY God knows.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      Prayer (which is worship) is attributing omniscience to her so they do make her a god.
      Yes, I do know what you said.

I already pointed out that many times prayers can be silent. For her to know ALL these prayers - even the silent ones - of the heart would make her the heart-knower of all (omniscient = God).

And that is something ONLY God knows.
      I never attributed omniscience to Mary. I have no idea what she knows or does not know.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

You asserted in Post 51 that they do not consider her to be a god.
        This is false.
        By praying to her (whether they realize it or not) they are ascribing omniscience to her. (Post 42)

The only one that is omniscient is God.
        Last edited by foudroyant; 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah "'nuff said" because this passage does not support what you are asserting.

Praying to Baal is worshiping Baal (1 Kings 18:26). Your example of asking someone to pray for you did not work as well because as I already pointed out many times prayers are silent.

Pray only to God and you will be doing what the Bible teaches is the correct thing to do.
          Uh, yeah it does. What are prayers to Saints? Well, they're where we ask the Saints to intercede on our behalf, and ask God to fulfill our own prayers to him, albeit indirectly. That does not constitute praying exclusively 'to' the Saint, we're simply asking the Saint to intercede on our behalf.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Nowhere does it say the saints were prayed to.
            If you were to pray to any saint they you are attributing omniscience to that saint.

Comment

This is false.
              By praying to her (whether they realize it or not) they are ascribing omniscience to her. (Post 42)

Eh, no, we are not. The idea that Mary could not hear the prayers might work if she was, say, in another room, but that's not the same deal as being glorified in Heaven. If it's God's will that we can even exist in that state, then it's also God's will that makes it able for her to hear our prayers.
              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

If she were to know all the prayers - even the silent ones - that would make her the heartknower of all.

Comment

This is false.

You are now making false accusations against more people. Catholics do not consider Mary to be a god. You really should work on this false accusation thing.

Comment

You really should know the meaning of kardiognwsta. See Post 42. I already referenced it. Try again.
                    And I already pointed out that prayer is worship (Luke 2:37).
                    Last edited by foudroyant; 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

You really should know the meaning of kardiognwsta. See Post 42. I already referenced it. Try again.
                      I do know Greek.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        It's a long story, and it involves me quoting scripture and calling the priest biblically illiterate.
                        Maybe you could try appealing to the local Ordinary? If the case really is as obviously unfair as you make it out to be, it might be able to get it reversed.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

You know Greek? Then learn how to use it.

Comment

Then learn how to use it.
                            Why do you assume that I do not know how to use it?

Comment

I already cited Greek words that refute their heresy in which you defend.

Comment

I already cited Greek words that refute their heresy in which you defend.
                                Where did you cite these Greek words that supposedly refute their heresy?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X