Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Qur'an, the Bible and Islam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siam View Post
    I was looking for a socio-historical perspective on how Christian theology came to be the way it is.
    Try reading the Scriptures for a change.

Comment

...but then Jesus is also identified as God therefore, using the same logic, the God & Jesus combo should be "out of the question" too?
      Jesus is the incarnate Word of God, something your Allah never heard of.

Comment

Yes --I can easily answer it....but only if there is genuine interest in learning.
        If the intention is to bolster your Christian faith by attacking another faith---that is fine too---just see your apologetics videos and feel-good,... but leave me out... I lack the patience for it.
        Cop out.

Comment

So God can mean other than God (father) in Gospels?

If my word-choice is improper let me know....
          The Father is not the Son and not the Holy Spirit. The Son is not the Father nor the Holy Spirit.

There is one and only one God, who exists in three persons. “Persons” means there are three personal distinctions within God, each who is fully God, yet only one God.

ALSO, the Trinity is NOT Allah, Jesus and the Virgin Mary as your Allah thought!!!

Comment

Really?!? Then just ANSWER IT..! If u say its so easy.

BUT DON'T by a hypocrite and patronising by something nonsensical - and crappy - like Christians "bolster our faith by attacking yours."

We don't need to bolster our anything in the crazy way you are insinuating.

That is just your way of trying to wriggle out of answering the question "Who is as-samiri" in the verses given.

You really dont have the answer to it. Christian3 has asked it and now me too. Just have the mental and intellectual capacity to stay on track and don't throw in your rwd herrings again and again as you have been doing siam!

Yes --I can easily answer it....but only if there is genuine interest in learning.
            If the intention is to bolster your Christian faith by attacking another faith---that is fine too---just see your apologetics videos and feel-good,... but leave me out... I lack the patience for it.

Comment

Totally agree with yiu Christian3, cop outs are thr favourite habits of a dawagandist like siam..shameless!

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
              Cop out.

Comment

Siam...your last paragraph below refers.

You CLAIM u can EASILY answer our questions about Fatiha, sister of Aaron, Samiri of the golden calf etc...

BUT u HAVEN'T.

So you REALLY CANNOT give sensible answers to any of those. That's the facts of the matter pure and simple.

It is not for your intellectual benefit but for those who asked you those questions. When u say its just for YOUR "intellectual benefit" it simply means that u just pick and choose what u want to answer and otherwise.

You say u xnot "understand Christian theology" & bla bla bla. Well, take it that WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND those dubious issues about Samiri, fatiha the two Marys in your koran.

If u can explain them sensibly to us, who knows such an understanding might result in us converting to islam! Should be a "piece of cake" to u, right?? It's "so easy for u" yah?

Then go on & give your intelligent replies..

Don't just fawn empty words like what you claimed.

Give it a try and we may yet be convinced. How do u know it won't? Are u God?

If our discussions has resulted in rudeness on my part, I apologize. Pls call out on it in future discussions. I will attempt to rephrase.

I have always been honest that I do not understand Christian Theology---all my previous attempts to do so have failed....I do not have much hope of ever understanding Christian theology. That is why I was asking a non-Christian some questions about why certain theological choices were made and not others. If I cannot understand the Theology, maybe I can understand the socio-historical circumstance and/or rationale of these particular choices.

Another area of interest/inquiry (4 me) would be how Christians personally use their theology to enhance/better their lives--what ethico-moral principles (if any) do these ideas contribute towards...etc

so far---not seeing much response in either of these areas

Also---to clarify
                In my case---I do not equate difficult and/or critical questions about Islam as rudeness. Questions about Samiri or other subjects (tafsir of Fatiha), Sister of Aaron...etc are all questions I can easily answer. However, if the intention behind the question is simply an apologetic feel-good aim rather than evaluating and discussing my response---then I get no intellectual benefit out of it.

Comment

What r the reasons Christians believe in One God?

Comment

Because there is only one God as the Bible teaches.

Comment

You just insinuated above that we should go 'content ourselves with videos' of apologetics, obviously referring to some clips I shared earlier with you and the Muslims here.

That is rather unfair because those are NOT Christian-made clips, neither were they apologetics in nature, much less "Christian" in any way.

In fact, they ALL made by thinking Muslims - those who are MUCH MORE thoughtful from you. More objective, and eyes much more opened than you - speaking about "blind faith"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8Zv1sB4Aw

Open and view the above link to the video made by Abdullah Sameer - who has never been a Christian but a Muslim and a dai or preacher for islam.

In it, he exposed why a missionary muslim like Muhammad Hijab DELETED 25 MINUTES of his interview with Yasir Qadhi who said "the primary narrative of the Koran / islam HAS GOT HOLES IN IT."

These gentlemen are all muslims - and there is no apologetics per se in the above YouTube clip. Obviously, Abdullah Sameer, and even Gondal the pakistani muslim eventually quit and LEFT islam, becoming atheists after an extended search and study on the ahruf, qiraat, mushafs etc problems of the Koran.

Deal with their questions like they were bold to ask the serious deeper questions. They are all from islamic backgrounds.

Comment

Obviously..Christians before and today are not polytheists like sura 5/116 erroneously claims.

Comment

I did not phrase the question properly...what I meant....

The creed ( of 381) states:-
                          "We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."

If "One God" here were changed to One Godhead, would this be an unacceptable change for Christians or would this be a helpful change?

Also....
                          My assumption is that if the "One God" concept of the OT and the Trinity concept of the NT were a choice, Christians would choose the Trinity of the NT over the OT "One God"?---would this be a correct assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Zebiri View Post
                            Siam...

It is not for your intellectual benefit but for those who asked you those questions. When u say its just for YOUR "intellectual benefit" it simply means that u just pick and choose what u want to answer and otherwise.

If u can explain them sensibly to us, who knows such an understanding might result in us converting to islam! ....
                            I am here on this board only for my personal benefit. (I have explained this before somewhere in these threads...but will clarify again)
                            I pick and choose. I answer what interests me....and real engagement (even disagreement) on the content of my replies is appreciated---but not assumptions/claims on my character or intent, or misrepresentations of my replies.
                            I am not interested in converting anybody. If there is a serious enough interest in Islam to the point of considering conversion---I would recommend they go to a proper teacher/scholar and learn about the obligations of a Muslim before making a decision.
                            I am not interested in converting to Christianity. My beliefs, as they are, satisfy me intellectually and spiritually.

Apologetics is interesting but it can devolve into a copy/paste exchange with Christian apologetic questions and Muslim apologetic answers from the net. This essentially means proxy questions and answers with no real intellectual engagement. I find that tedious.

Comment

I did not phrase the question properly...what I meant....

The creed ( of 381) states:-
                              "We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."

If "One God" here were changed to One Godhead, would this be an unacceptable change for Christians or would this be a helpful change?

Also....
                              My assumption is that if the "One God" concept of the OT and the Trinity concept of the NT were a choice, Christians would choose the Trinity of the NT over the OT "One God"?---would this be a correct assumption?
                              There is only one God -- YHWH -- who both Jews and Christians call Father.

The Father is the same God of the Old and New Testaments. The Father revealed Himself as a tri-unity in nature. There are hints of it in the Old Testament.

Comment

Nevertheless you have accused others of being adversarial, while ignoring all the adversarial sentiments of the koran.

Surah fatihah v 6-7 which calls down condemnation the Jews by Allah, and vilifies Christians as have lost their way & going astray, not once but 17 times daily in the muslim obligated prayers, is nothing short of instilling hate speech. The orthodox tafsirs and sheikhs all confirm this.

That is a despicable double standard which needs calling out. It is hypocritical to claim islam as a 'religion of peace' with these daily attacks and vilifications from the koran.

I am here on this board only for my personal benefit. (I have explained this before somewhere in these threads...but will clarify again)
                                I pick and choose. I answer what interests me....and real engagement (even disagreement) on the content of my replies is appreciated---but not assumptions/claims on my character or intent, or misrepresentations of my replies.
                                I am not interested in converting anybody. If there is a serious enough interest in Islam to the point of considering conversion---I would recommend they go to a proper teacher/scholar and learn about the obligations of a Muslim before making a decision.
                                I am not interested in converting to Christianity. My beliefs, as they are, satisfy me intellectually and spiritually.

Apologetics is interesting but it can devolve into a copy/paste exchange with Christian apologetic questions and Muslim apologetic answers from the net. This essentially means proxy questions and answers with no real intellectual engagement. I find that tedious.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X