Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Qur'an, the Bible and Islam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siam View Post
    Thankyou

I looked it up--wiki says:-
    Basil then had to face the growing spread of Arianism. This belief system, which denied that Christ was consubstantial with the Father, was quickly gaining adherents and was seen by many, particularly those in Alexandria most familiar with it, as posing a threat to the unity of the church.[39] Basil entered into connections with the West, and with the help of Athanasius, he tried to overcome its distrustful attitude toward the Homoiousians. The difficulties had been enhanced by bringing in the question as to the essence of the Holy Spirit. Although Basil advocated objectively the consubstantiality of the Holy Spirit with the Father and the Son, he belonged to those, who, faithful to Eastern tradition, would not allow the predicate homoousios to the former; for this he was reproached as early as 371 by the Orthodox zealots among the monks, and Athanasius defended him. He maintained a relationship with Eustathius despite dogmatic differences.

Why were these people discussing the "question of the essence of the Holy Spirit"? If they needed a Trinity for some reason ---they could have used "The Word" which G of J clearly spells out IS God. Thus word, god, son could have formed an easy trinity?

Does the Holy Spirit Homo-ousios/Avian-ousios (?) into a Dove?---or use some other process?...or is this process/concept "a mystery" and best ignored?

What happened to the Holy Ghost? ---apparently some formulations of the Trinity had "Holy Ghost" for the resurrected Jesus, instead of Holy Spirit? Some say it means the same thing---but Holy Spirit is a Dove (God-Dove)---right?

In G of J---Jesus is called "Lamb of God"---why is "Lamb of God" symbolic and "son of God" literal? ---is this a political choice or misinterpretation over time? (as I understand it---"son of God" also meant King in that era?---but this would have caused political problems for existing "Kings"?)

U wrote--
    "Prior to his incarnation it was assumed that he was not a man in any way but what happened after his resurrection? Did he revert to just being God? Or did he retain some of his humanity and if so, how much?"
    But ---In (Hellenized?) Christianity, God made man in his image? Therefore, God always has been anthropomorphic? (as in depictions at the Sistine Chapel?)
    Siam, Hypatia_Alexandria is not a Christian, so it would be much, much better if you got information about Christianity from a Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Zebiri View Post
      Yes and I think I've seen that long reply of yours. A while back before the crash.
      I do have a habit of going in to depth with my posts at times

I just want to be thorough.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Jesus is effectively the Word of God hence in this case Word is a synonym with Jesus. No need to be redundant.
        ...Then Holy Spirit is NOT Jesus?
        Holy Spirit is God, Jesus is God but Holy Spirit is NOT Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
          Siam, Hypatia_Alexandria is not a Christian, so it would be much, much better if you got information about Christianity from a Christian.
          I was looking for a socio-historical perspective on how Christian theology came to be the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Because John clearly identifies this Word with Jesus, so a Trinity consisting of the Father, Son and Word would have been out of the question.
            ...but then Jesus is also identified as God therefore, using the same logic, the God & Jesus combo should be "out of the question" too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Zebiri View Post
              Can u also answer Christian3 and my questions on the identity of who 'Samiri' is? On here -

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...nd-Islam/page2 -
              Yes --I can easily answer it....but only if there is genuine interest in learning.
              If the intention is to bolster your Christian faith by attacking another faith---that is fine too---just see your apologetics videos and feel-good,... but leave me out... I lack the patience for it.

Comment

...but then Jesus is also identified as God therefore, using the same logic, the God & Jesus combo should be "out of the question" too?
                Jesus is identified as fully divine in nature, but not as God, if by God you mean the Father.

Comment

Yes --I can easily answer it....but only if there is genuine interest in learning.
                  If the intention is to bolster your Christian faith by attacking another faith---that is fine too---just see your apologetics videos and feel-good,... but leave me out... I lack the patience for it.
                  Given the lack of respect and attempt at understanding Christian doctrines on your end you should be the last person here to talk about lacking the patience for anything.

Comment

Given the lack of respect and attempt at understanding Christian doctrines on your end you should be the last person here to talk about lacking the patience for anything.
                    reciprocating what was dealt

Comment

reciprocating what was dealt
                      Your lack of even attempting to understand Christian doctrines has nothing to do with "reciprocating" anything, don't try to hide behind that sorry excuse. You were doing it already when you were having a discussion with me about various doctrines of Christianity in the other thread.

Comment

Jesus is identified as fully divine in nature, but not as God, if by God you mean the Father.
                        ...then Jesus is not Word?---correct?

Depending on interpretation, the word = God in G of J?
                        "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Comment

...then Jesus is not Word?---correct?

Depending on interpretation, the word = God in G of J?
                          "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

And here we go again...

Nothing of what I've said implies that Jesus is not the Word. There are multiple ways the phrase "the Word was God" can be understood. It can be understood in the sense that the Word was fully divine. It can be understood in the sense that the title of God belongs to the Word. Or that the name of God belongs to the Word.

It could, presumably, also mean that the Word is identical to the God (i.e the Father) that the Word "was with", but that is highly unlikely and is dependent on the ridiculous notion that John contradicted himself all throughout his gospel by clearly making a distinction between the Word/Jesus and the Father. The idea is so ridiculous on the face of it that it's not even worth considering seriously.

Comment

Your lack of even attempting to understand Christian doctrines has nothing to do with "reciprocating" anything, don't try to hide behind that sorry excuse. You were doing it already when you were having a discussion with me about various doctrines of Christianity in the other thread.
                            If our discussions has resulted in rudeness on my part, I apologize. Pls call out on it in future discussions. I will attempt to rephrase.

I have always been honest that I do not understand Christian Theology---all my previous attempts to do so have failed....I do not have much hope of ever understanding Christian theology. That is why I was asking a non-Christian some questions about why certain theological choices were made and not others. If I cannot understand the Theology, maybe I can understand the socio-historical circumstance and/or rationale of these particular choices.

Another area of interest/inquiry (4 me) would be how Christians personally use their theology to enhance/better their lives--what ethico-moral principles (if any) do these ideas contribute towards...etc

so far---not seeing much response in either of these areas

Also---to clarify
                            In my case---I do not equate difficult and/or critical questions about Islam as rudeness. Questions about Samiri or other subjects (tafsir of Fatiha), Sister of Aaron...etc are all questions I can easily answer. However, if the intention behind the question is simply an apologetic feel-good aim rather than evaluating and discussing my response---then I get no intellectual benefit out of it.

Comment

And here we go again...

Nothing of what I've said implies that Jesus is not the Word. There are multiple ways the phrase "the Word was God" can be understood. It can be understood in the sense that the Word was fully divine. It can be understood in the sense that the title of God belongs to the Word. Or that the name of God belongs to the Word.

It could, presumably, also mean that the Word is identical to the God (i.e the Father) that the Word "was with", but that is highly unlikely and is dependent on the ridiculous notion that John contradicted himself all throughout his gospel by clearly making a distinction between the Word/Jesus and the Father. The idea is so ridiculous on the face of it that it's not even worth considering seriously.
                              So God can mean other than God (father) in Gospels?

If my word-choice is improper let me know....

Comment

...Then Holy Spirit is NOT Jesus?
                                Holy Spirit is God, Jesus is God but Holy Spirit is NOT Jesus?
                                Good Grief, Siam.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X