Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Baha'i faith, slavery and progressive revelation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

I got no problem with that, but don't attack Christianity or Judaism for what God failed to instruct them to do, and according to the Baha'i faith God failed to instruct that.

Comparing religions and giving reasons I believe as I do is not an attack on any religion. You like wise describe why you do not believe in the Baha'i Faith.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Comparing religions and giving reasons I believe as I do is not an attack on any religion. You like wise describe why you do not believe in the Baha'i Faith.
      Bull crap, a number of times you have made the point that slavery was not condemned in Scripture, as if it was somehow lacking. Yet that was God's choice not to condemn it back then.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

IT is an issue
        Make up what's left of your mind.

So what?!?!?! The issue is not the science before the 17th century.

NO! I did not cite me properly.
        Umm...

Yes I did and this reflects most of the missionaries world wide.
        Really. Then cite this poll of missionaries world wide showing that. I'll be waiting.

News Flash!!!! This problem is dominant in the third world countries world wide, because of very active fundamentalist missionaries. It is not a dominant view in Europe, but evangelists are active in Europe, and some churches even in Eastern Europe believe in a literal Bible..
        Please provide evidence in support of your wild claims.

Yes they simply wrote what they believed, but this is accepted as gospel and Divine guidance in the history of Christianity that the writers of the NT believed that the Pentateuch is a literal historical text.
        Earlier you claimed that they pushed forced conversion because that's what Christ taught. I'm still waiting for any evidence for that and I'm even willing to ignore your pathetic attempt at shoehorning a parable to fit the bill, and spare you further humiliation.

Many members here on Tweb believe in some form of a literal Bible in contradiction of science.
        My turn to note "So what?!?!?!"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Really. Then cite this poll of missionaries world wide showing that. I'll be waiting.

Please provide evidence in support of your wild claims.
          Polls reflecting the problem of accepting the science of evolution world wide among Christians and Muslisms.

Source: https://ncse.ngo/polling-creationism-and-evolution-around-world

Polling creationism and evolution around the world

A new poll conducted by Ipsos for Reuters News in twenty-four countries found that 41% of respondents identified themselves as "evolutionists" and 28% as "creationists," with 31% indicating that they "simply don't know what to believe," according to a press release issued by Ipsos on April 25, 2011.

Respondents were prompted with "There has been some debate recently about the origins of human beings. Please tell me which of the following is closer to your own point of view" and presented with:

• Some people are referred to as 'evolutionist's' [sic] and believe that human beings were in fact created over a long period of time of evolution growing into fully formed human beings they are today from lower species such as apes;
          • Some people are referred to as 'creationist's' and believe that human beings were in fact created by a spiritual force such as the God they believe in and do not believe that the origin of man came from evolving from other species such as apes; and
          • Some people simply don't know what to believe and sometimes agree or disagree with theories and ideas put forward by both creationist's and evolutionist's.

The countries were Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and the United States.

The "evolutionist" view was most popular in Sweden (68%), Germany (65%), and China (64%), with the United States ranking 18th (28%), between Mexico (34%) and Russia (26%); the "creationist" view was most popular in Saudi Arabia (75%), Turkey (60%), and Indonesia (57%), with the United States ranking 6th (40%), between Brazil (47%) and Russia (34%).

Consistently with previous polls, in the United States, acceptance of evolution was higher among respondents who were younger, with a higher level of household income, and with a higher level of education. Gender was not particularly important, however: the difference between male and female respondents in the United States was no more than 2%.

The survey was conducted on-line between September 7 and September 23, 2010, with approximately 1000 participants per country except for Argentina, Indonesia, Mexico, Poland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Russia, and Turkey, for which there were approximately 500 participants per country; the results were weighted to balance demographics.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Bull crap, a number of times you have made the point that slavery was not condemned in Scripture, as if it was somehow lacking. Yet that was God's choice not to condemn it back then.
            It is lacking, because it reflects an ;ancient tribal scripture based on the culture and times it was written. That is likely that was God's choice not to condemn it back then. An effective argument for progtrssive Revelation.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Maybe they did. Or maybe they simply wrote using what people believed. It wasn't a science lesson. It was a polemic noting that God is the master of everything in comparison to the false gods of neighboring people.
              Maybe? That is exactly what the authors believed at the time the text was written and considered gospel truth. That is what the Christians have believed since. The issues of the science of evolution did not come to a head until the 19th century with Charles Darwin's research. Because of the widespread belief, based on scripture, that the Pentateuch is a literal historical document the balif in a literal Bible is wide spread in the world today.

Frank

Comment

It is lacking, because it reflects an ;ancient tribal scripture based on the culture and times it was written. That is likely that was God's choice not to condemn it back then. An effective argument for progtrssive Revelation.
                So it was God's choice! Why do you think that is since He condemned many other evils?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So it was God's choice! Why do you think that is since He condemned many other evils?
                  Progressive Revelation as previously described. Revelation is relative to the culture and times it was revealed as in the Progressive Revelation from the Torah to the New Testament.

Frank

Comment

Progressive Revelation as previously described. Revelation is relative to the culture and times it was revealed as in the Progressive Revelation from the Torah to the New Testament.
                    So slavery was OK back in the day, according to God then?

Comment

So slavery was OK back in the day, according to God then?
                      Well ah . . . according to the Bible yes, but not today due to Progressive Revelation establishes a new spiritual foundation considering all forms of slavery forbidden and immoral. It is also immoral today to stone people to death for various OT law violations.

Frank

Comment

Well ah . . . according to the Bible yes, but not today due to Progressive Revelation establishes a new spiritual foundation considering all forms of slavery forbidden and immoral. It is also immoral today to stone people to death for various OT law violations.
                        No not according to the Bible, according to God...

Comment

No not according to the Bible, according to God...
                          The Bible literally regulate slavery of foreigners and indentured servitude of Hebrews. Nowhere in the Bible is slavery forbidden or immoral.

What is not according to the Bible?

Is slavery moral today?

Frank

Comment

The Bible literally regulate slavery of foreigners and indentured servitude of Hebrews. Nowhere in the Bible is slavery forbidden or immoral.

Is slavery moral today?
                            The US Constitution as amended allows for the indentured servitude of prisoners.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Because God did not condemn it.

Is slavery moral today?
                              Yes, in many countries.

Modern slavery shoots up by 10 million in five years

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-62877388

Comment

Because God did not condemn it.
                                So? You did not answer the question: Is slavery moral today?

I answered many times the problem of the failure of slavery being condemned in past ancient tribal religions. Also you failed to answer the question: Is it still moral today to stone to death persons for the various violations of Hebrew Law such as charges of heresy?

Yes, in many countries.

Modern slavery shoots up by 10 million in five years

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-62877388
                                So what? The wide spread existence of slavery does not justify the morality of slavery, just as the widespread increase in murder justifies murder. Part of the problem of the existence of slavery today is ancient tribal religions fail to condemn slavery.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X