Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nothingness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothingness

On Tweb the subject of nothingness has been discussed from time to time.

There is disagreement as to what nothingness means.

A few things to consider about what nothingness is not:
    1) No time.
    2) No light nor darkness nor anything in between.
    3) No space. No vacuum. Not anything.

Nothingness means not anything.

So it can be argued that nothingness never existed. There never was nothingness.

Nothingness as a concept of itself of not being anything at all.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Nothingness describes the inside of my wallet about a week and a half before the end of the month.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

1) No time.

So it can be argued that nothingness never existed. There never was nothingness.

True.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

1) No time.

Very true, so in my opinion, there is no such thing as nothingness which would mean that existence itself is infinite. Infinity is a difficult thing to imagine, that there is no end or boundary to existence, but the idea of nothingness is an even harder thing to imagine in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Very true, so in my opinion, there is no such thing as nothingness which would mean that existence itself is infinite. Infinity is a difficult thing to imagine, that there is no end or boundary to existence, but the idea of nothingness is an even harder thing to imagine in my opinion.
          Therefore: the uncaused existence.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Therefore: the uncaused existence.
            Yes, therefore existence itself would be uncaused.

Comment

Infinite existence may be thought of as god or God or no god or God. Pantheism perhaps. Or a Personal God perhaps. Or an infinite everything existing eternally, which some equate to pantheism unless they do not want to use a word that contains the 'theism' root.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                Infinite existence may be thought of as god or God or no god or God. Pantheism perhaps. Or a Personal God perhaps. Or an infinite everything existing eternally, which some equate to pantheism unless they do not want to use a word that contains the 'theism' root.
                It may be thought of that way, but my own way of thinking about it is natural in that the cosmos itself is infinite in extent and there is no distinct existence that lies beyond or outside of that cosmos. If there were, then again there would need be a kind of nothingness, the very thing I find to be most incomprehensible, separating the two. Pantheism is just a way of sneaking the idea of God into the equation, but it really has no meaning since all of existence would be God.

Comment

It may be thought of that way, but my own way of thinking about it is natural in that the cosmos itself is infinite in extent and there is no distinct existence that lies beyond or outside of that cosmos. If there were, then again there would need be a kind of nothingness, the very thing I find to be most incomprehensible, separating the two. Pantheism is just a way of sneaking the idea of God into the equation, but it really has no meaning since all of existence would be God.
                  Right. That is why I allotted space for those who affirm no god or God and do not want to use a word that contains the 'theism' root.

Comment

Right. That is why I allotted space for those who affirm no god or God and do not want to use a word that contains the 'theism' root.
                    Sure, but its not about wanting or not wanting God, its about the incomprehensibility of nothingness and if there is no such thing as nothingness, if existence is infinite, then from my perspective, there is no god either.

Comment

Sure, but its not about wanting or not wanting God, its about the incomprehensibility of nothingness and if there is no such thing as nothingness, if existence is infinite, then from my perspective, there is no god either.
                      Why does it follow that there is no god or God if existence is infinite? Why could not God or gods be a large part of infinite existence?

Comment

Why does it follow that there is no god or God if existence is infinite? Why could not God or gods be a large part of infinite existence?
                        Because basically, if god were part of the natural and infinite existence, then for one thing, the infinite existence was not created, and without creation, there is no god.

Comment

Because basically, if god were part of the natural and infinite existence, then for one thing, the infinite existence was not created, and without creation, there is no god.
                          I don't think that follows; why could not God be always and eternally existing infinitely and always and eternally creating an infinite existence?

Comment

I don't think that follows; why could not God be always and eternally existing infinitely and always and eternally creating an infinite existence?
                            . . . because 'not God' could be the Pantheistic or Atheist eternal and infinite uncaused physical universe.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              . . . because 'not God' could be the Pantheistic or Atheist eternal and infinite uncaused physical universe.
                              Of course. Why do you think that has any relevance to what I said? Perhaps you are imagining I said something that I did not say. I did not say that it follows that God is always and eternally existing infinitely and always and eternally creating an infinite existence. I merely implied that it was not impossible given JimL's view.

Comment