Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What's your position on the mind-body problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your position on the mind-body problem?

Mine is Monistic idealism.
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Thomistic hylemorphic dualism.

Comment

What he said ^
      "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

The mind is a product of the physical body. The soul is a separate entity.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Modified dualism
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Thomistic hylemorphic dualism.
            Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
            What he said ^
            Thomistic dualism is the view that the soul (of which the mind is a part) is the substantial form of the body (of which the brain is a part).
            http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009/01...fic015121.html

Is this what your views are? Can you please explain what this means? Thanks, I'm really interested.
            i.e. What does substantial mean in this context?
            Last edited by Quantum Weirdness; 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM.
            Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
            Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Berkelian Idealism, in my case. It's a reductionist form of Monism. I can elaborate if you like; the thing that most attracted me to this view was its simplicity of proof.

EDIT: Quantum, on skimming your profile I see that I probably don't need to explain a thing, since you're a monistic idealist and panentheist. By the way, what's a Monolist?

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
              Thomistic dualism is the view that the soul (of which the mind is a part) is the substantial form of the body (of which the brain is a part).
              Is this what your views are? Can you please explain what this means? Thanks, I'm really interested.
              i.e. What does substantial mean in this context?
              I've never heard of this before and would be curious to hear the answer(s) as well.
              Last edited by Volt; 01-30-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volt View Post
                Berkelian Idealism, in my case. It's a reductionist form of Monism. I can elaborate if you like; the thing that most attracted me to this view was its simplicity of proof.

EDIT: Quantum, on skimming your profile I see that I probably don't need to explain a thing, since you're a monistic idealist and panentheist. By the way, what's a Monolist?
                Now looking at it, it is a question I myself have to answer to. I'll delete it.
                Btw Where did you get the idea of Berkleyan Idealism from? I got it from Johanan Raatz and Inspiring Philosophy.
                Nice talking to a fellow idealist.

Much thanks to David Hayward for teaching me to quote like this.
                Last edited by Quantum Weirdness; 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM.
                Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

What's your position on the mind-body problem?
                  Personally, I am in favor of both.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I heard a mention/dismissal of it while talking with Philosophy profs and students, then read Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous. I just finished my BS in Biology, but if I never had to worry about a paycheck, I would dive headfirst into a philosophy major. The easiest method of exposure to new ideas (from my experience) is usually talking with as many people as possible.

I have to admit, I was surprised to see another Idealist. There doesn't seem to be many around. Also, those links are great! I'll be taking my time to browse through all the material.

Comment

Mine is Monistic idealism.
                      There is only a problem if your assumption is that there is this entity "mind" which has an existence of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Volt View Post
                        I heard a mention/dismissal of it while talking with Philosophy profs and students, then read Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous. I just finished my BS in Biology, but if I never had to worry about a paycheck, I would dive headfirst into a philosophy major. The easiest method of exposure to new ideas (from my experience) is usually talking with as many people as possible.

I have to admit, I was surprised to see another Idealist. There doesn't seem to be many around. Also, those links are great! I'll be taking my time to browse through all the material.
                        Ditto. It takes time for ideas like these to spread.
                        Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          There is only a problem if your assumption is that there is this entity "mind" which has an existence of its own.
                          I assume you think mind is an emergent property of the brain?
                          Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

correct. there is no reason to think otherwise.

Comment

correct. there is no reason to think otherwise.
                              I think by now we all acknowledge that a mind can theoretically be transmitted to a brain to induce a "Matrix" effect -- that is, a mind can exist without a brain as a series of commands floating through the air, like a spirit.

Comment