Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What's your position on the mind-body problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on this. I think I'm some kind of emergent mind-body dualist. It seems to me that there is some kind of immaterial mind that probably doesn't operate in strict accord with the laws that govern material existence, but that mind seems to arise from a certain configuration of material components and its functionality is influenced by influences on those components.

I stumbled upon a blog post by Glenn Peoples who makes the argument that a Christian position on the mind-body problem ought to be a materialist position from a strictly scriptural viewpoint, which I thought was interesting: http://www.rightreason.org/2014/dust-n-breath-1/.

Comment

What happens to your mind when you're asleep? Unconscious? Dreaming?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

You do need both. Don't think eternity as disembodied spirits would be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Well, even for the immaterialist there is no evidence of ghosts. Emergent property, i think, might be better understood as the "brain" being more than its parts, which we then call the mind.
          No more than "ghost" implies a disembodied mind, and idealists believe that only mind and ideas* exist...

I think materialists can better reject the concept of a ghost because of their conclusion: a physical brain must be present to contain a "mind," whatever it is. Brain exists first, mind after. Idealists aren't bound in the same way; we just happen to know by experience that a brain is related to the function of the mind for humans--it's perfectly feasible to suggest that a mind still exists, dissociated from the body. Mind exists first, brain after. Of course, that's not the same as direct evidence, which I think is what you were specifically referring to?

* "Ideas" being defined here as the singular building block of reality that we know of. Call it whatever you like. Neutral Monism is effectively the same as any other kind of Monism--it just argues over the definition of reality's building blocks.

Originally posted by deranger View Post
          I think I'm some kind of emergent mind-body dualist. It seems to me that there is some kind of immaterial mind that probably doesn't operate in strict accord with the laws that govern material existence, but that mind seems to arise from a certain configuration of material components and its functionality is influenced by influences on those components.
          Interesting summation. By noting that the mind doesn't follow physical laws, you neatly avoid predetermination.

What makes you a dualist, though? If the mind is a product of material components, it's made of the same "stuff," correct? How then can it not follow physical laws?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            What happens to your mind when you're asleep? Unconscious? Dreaming?
            It's still there, working away. It just has different parts active at the time.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Guess the memory parts turn off. You can sometimes remember dreams if you wake up and try to remember them.

Comment

Originally posted by deranger View Post
                I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on this. I think I'm some kind of emergent mind-body dualist. It seems to me that there is some kind of immaterial mind that probably doesn't operate in strict accord with the laws that govern material existence, but that mind seems to arise from a certain configuration of material components and its functionality is influenced by influences on those components.

I stumbled upon a blog post by Glenn Peoples who makes the argument that a Christian position on the mind-body problem ought to be a materialist position from a strictly scriptural viewpoint, which I thought was interesting: http://www.rightreason.org/2014/dust-n-breath-1/.
                Stunbled on that post some time ago. He did have me convinced that scripture could be interpreted in a physicalist manner. I was a Christian physicalist until I stumbled upon this video
                -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                  Stunbled on that post some time ago. He did have me convinced that scripture could be interpreted in a physicalist manner. I was a Christian physicalist until I stumbled upon this video
                  I consider this video rather hypothetical with a number of the statements about QM misleading and in need of a hypothetical reach in meaning from a theistic perspective.

What do we see and know?
                  when we follow the foot tracks in the snow.
                  we should in humility know
                  they are our foot prints in the snow
                  Here today and gone tomorrow.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I consider this video rather hypothetical with a number of the statements about QM misleading and in need of a hypothetical reach in meaning from a theistic perspective.

What do we see and know?
                    when we follow the foot tracks in the snow.
                    we should in humility know
                    they are our foot prints in the snow
                    Here today and gone tomorrow.
                    I did find it compelling at first but I found Raatz's Digital Physics argument better (though I.P.'s one is good to). And unless you hold to non-locality or multiverse, then QM debunks realism (and subsequently, materialism)
                    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

This video makes no sense. That reality does not exist until we observe it? So the blind man doesn't walk into the wall because he does not observe it?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        This video makes no sense. That reality does not exist until we observe it? So the blind man doesn't walk into the wall because he does not observe it?
                        Neither does Quantum Mechanics. One interpretation supposes that we create a billion times a billion times a billion alternative universes per second. Another supposes that particles can move faster than light unless you measure it in which case, it is always at the speed of light.

Observation (as meant by IP) is knowledge about something, not actually seeing it. You should ask him about it if you are interested and have more objections about QM.
                        Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Observation (as meant by IP) is knowledge about something, not actually seeing it. You should ask him about it if you are interested and have more objections about QM.
                          Well the blind man could have zero knowledge of the wall in front of him. I think that would clearly falsify this specific claim - not all of QM of course.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Well the blind man could have zero knowledge of the wall in front of him. I think that would clearly falsify this specific claim - not all of QM of course.
                            I would think it only falsifies Solipsism.

Comment

Define knowledge.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Volt View Post
                                I would think it only falsifies Solipsism.

No, not according to the You Tube link. Which stated that reality doesn't exist until we observe it. My blind man model defeats that. We all know that the blind man, even if he did not perceive it, would hit the wall - not walk through it. Another real life example - I hike a lot, not that long ago I stepped into a hole - the reason I did is because I did not see it, if I had seen it, I would not have stepped in it. So that reality existed without my perception.

Comment