Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What's your position on the mind-body problem?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
    I think by now we all acknowledge that a mind can theoretically be transmitted to a brain to induce a "Matrix" effect -- that is, a mind can exist without a brain as a series of commands floating through the air, like a spirit.
    I think you should only speak for yourself on that one JP. But perhaps you have an explanation? First off to transmit a mind to a brain, you need to have a mind to transmit. What did you have in mind?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JimL View Post
      I think you should only speak for yourself on that one JP. But perhaps you have an explanation? First off to transmit a mind to a brain, you need to have a mind to transmit. What did you have in mind?
      Yes apologies, I was referring to experiments like these, where mind data may be transmitted. Which is not to say it's evidence of a "thinking" mind outside of the brain, but it opens the door to considering that mind data may be synthesized by computers, preserved outside of the brain, etc.:

      Researchers at the University of Washington, Rajesh Rao and Andrea Stocco, have created a remote, non-invasive brain-to-brain interface that allowed Rao to move Stocco’s finger remotely on a keyboard using his thoughts. -Researchers Build The First Brain-To-Brain Control Interface

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
        Yes apologies, I was referring to experiments like these, where mind data may be transmitted. Which is not to say it's evidence of a "thinking" mind outside of the brain, but it opens the door to considering that mind data may be synthesized by computers, preserved outside of the brain, etc.:
        It is a very interesting experiment. They seem to be copying a pattern of brain electrical activity from one brain to another. But this pattern is not a mind. You need a brain to make sense of the data and it seems that the information is perceived as involuntary movements.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

        Comment


        • #19
          The mind/ conscience is your soul. It takes up temporary residence in your brain and uses the brains limited functions to give orders to the body. When you die it leaves the mass called the brain and goes along in its spirit form where it continues to 'think' in a not so limited form.

          I don't know what the scientific name for this is or if there even is one

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by princesa View Post
            The mind/ conscience is your soul. It takes up temporary residence in your brain and uses the brains limited functions to give orders to the body. When you die it leaves the mass called the brain and goes along in its spirit form where it continues to 'think' in a not so limited form.

            I don't know what the scientific name for this is or if there even is one
            That may be what it is purported to be by those who believe there to be a soul/mind separate from the brain/body, but that is so far just an unsubstantiated claim. There is no scientific evidence supporting this claim of immaterial ghosts.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by JimL View Post
              That may be what it is purported to be by those who believe there to be a soul/mind separate from the brain/body, but that is so far just an unsubstantiated claim. There is no scientific evidence supporting this claim of immaterial ghosts.
              Are you a materialist then? I'm not sure what the term "emergent property" entails, other than that the mind is more than its parts.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Volt View Post
                Are you a materialist then? I'm not sure what the term "emergent property" entails, other than that the mind is more than its parts.
                Well, even for the immaterialist there is no evidence of ghosts. Emergent property, i think, might be better understood as the "brain" being more than its parts, which we then call the mind.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I am not sure exactly. As a Christian, I'm feel some form of dualism is default, so that's what I hold to for now. I was also first seriously exposed to idealism from Raatz and IP, and while I find their view an attractive one. I do want to explore the issues a little further at my own pace though before I fully commit to either view in particular. That being said, it's a little hard to say good-bye to a mind independent reality. lol
                  By the way, Quantum Weirdness, do you have a youtube channel by the same name?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Theistic-Student View Post
                    I am not sure exactly. As a Christian, I'm feel some form of dualism is default, so that's what I hold to for now. I was also first seriously exposed to idealism from Raatz and IP, and while I find their view an attractive one. I do want to explore the issues a little further at my own pace though before I fully commit to either view in particular. That being said, it's a little hard to say good-bye to a mind independent reality. lol
                    Very. Imagine trying to explain that to your friends that you essentially live in a dream world and not being laughed at!!!
                    Wonder if you might like neutral monism though for the meantime?

                    Quote:
                    "Neutral monism is a monistic metaphysics. It holds that ultimate reality is all of one kind. To this extent neutral monism is in agreement with idealism and materialism. What distinguishes neutral monism from its better known monistic rivals is the claim that the intrinsic nature of ultimate reality is neither mental nor physical. This negative claim also captures the idea of neutrality: being intrinsically neither mental nor physical in nature ultimate reality is said to be neutral between the two.
                    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/neutral-monism/
                    End Quote

                    Originally posted by Theistic-Student View Post
                    By the way, Quantum Weirdness, do you have a youtube channel by the same name?
                    Yep (with the 1 added on at the end).
                    Think you can guess my real name just by looking at my profile?
                    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                    Sir James Jeans

                    -This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                    Sir Isaac Newton

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Seems interesting enough. I'll try to take a look at it, when I have some free time. Thanks :)
                      And unfortunately no, I couldn't figure out your name. I'm not even sure what some of the stuff in that equation means.. O.O

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I consider the mind-body problem to be non-existent. That is, I believe the discussion arises from confusion due to different manners of describing the same thing. If there's a technical term for that, I don't recall. It's been too long since I delved into it to remember offhand. Regardless, I typically dislike categories as I seldom find one existing that truly matches what it is I think.
                        I'm not here anymore.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                          Very. Imagine trying to explain that to your friends that you essentially live in a dream world and not being laughed at!!!
                          Wonder if you might like neutral monism though for the meantime?

                          Quote:
                          "Neutral monism is a monistic metaphysics. It holds that ultimate reality is all of one kind. To this extent neutral monism is in agreement with idealism and materialism. What distinguishes neutral monism from its better known monistic rivals is the claim that the intrinsic nature of ultimate reality is neither mental nor physical. This negative claim also captures the idea of neutrality: being intrinsically neither mental nor physical in nature ultimate reality is said to be neutral between the two.
                          http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/neutral-monism/
                          End Quote
                          And no sooner do I post than I realize I missed this bit, and that neutral monism fairly well describes how I perceive things.
                          I'm not here anymore.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            What about brain=hardware mind=software? Or is that dualism? IDK
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              What about brain=hardware mind=software? Or is that dualism? IDK
                              It needs more fleshing out. It's generally dualism. If you're replying to me specifically, it's not what I think.
                              I'm not here anymore.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I guess I'm not really sure on the whole philosophy thing, then.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seer, 12-20-2021, 01:00 PM
                                11 responses
                                111 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Started by Seeker, 08-02-2021, 01:25 AM
                                23 responses
                                245 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Machinist  
                                Started by Machinist, 07-11-2021, 08:10 AM
                                240 responses
                                1,108 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Machinist  
                                Started by mattbballman31, 08-26-2020, 11:42 AM
                                411 responses
                                2,636 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Working...
                                X