Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ecclesiastic Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?
    I seem to remember my piano teacher saying something to the effect that he considered music's impact on a person to be some evidence for the existence of God. The fact that sound is able to stir such emotion is (afaik) without a secular explanation. I'd think it safe to say that ecclesiastic music possesses some spiritual component (ignoring for the moment my disbelief in such things).

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Thanks, everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Pentecost
    replied
    Worship is first about giving glory to God, that is the meaning of the word. Music in Scripture indicates that music has a rightful place in that worship. It is both a people thing and a spiritual thing, and because people are spiritual the distinction is one hardly worth making. If the question is, "Is worship for man or for God?' The answer is for God, but I certainly enjoy the music while I'm at it, and I feel exalted as I exalt Him.

But then, I'm a tongues speakin' holy roller type so you pay me no mind.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    So, music is about getting people where they need to be - what about glorifying God?
    You'd already mentioned that.
    How does music connect us in worship?
    Through group participation. Listening is nice, but I don't think it fosters much connection.
    Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?
    Yes?

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    So, music is about getting people where they need to be - what about glorifying God? How does music connect us in worship? Is it just a people thing or is it a spiritual thing as well?

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Music is one way for everyone to actively participate in worship, which would foster a sense of unity in community as far as I can tell.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    The only differentiation I can think of other than "topic" is "purpose", and there are a few possible main purposes for music in a service. The most obvious is for the praise of God (and we can easily determine from Scripture that God most probably enjoys musical worship), but there is also simply the music at the beginning of the service to get everybody settled down and in a more contemplative mood.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    started a topic Ecclesiastic Music

Ecclesiastic Music

What, other than topic, distinguishes ecclesiastic music from other music? What role does it play in worship?