Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Definition of Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak/negative atheist: Someone who lacks belief in God's existence.

Strong/positive atheism: Someone who asserts that God does not exist.

Both definitions are commonplace, and neither are "wrong" or "abnormal". Under the first definition all non-theists fall under the umbrella of atheism, while under the second only a sub-set of non-theists are atheists.

Generally I tend to view the weak/negative atheism definition as superfluous, since the word non-theist exists, and it's range of meaning is (as far as I can tell) exactly identical to the definition of "weak/negative atheism".

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
      You're free to use "apple" to a long, yellow, curved herb, it's not incorrect. It's just an abnormal usage of the word .
      Of course it's incorrect. Words have meanings. That's not what 'apple' means. If you use it to mean such, you're wrong.

If you ask me for an apple, I'm going to give you want I conceive of as an apple. If you mean something else by the usage of "apple", I would first need to understand what you mean by your usage.
      In which case the onus is on me to show that I'm using a wrong definition of the word.

It's impossible to be wrong in regard to word usage, merely abnormal.
      Nonsense.
      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

You're free to use "apple" to a long, yellow, curved herb, it's not incorrect. It's just an abnormal usage of the word .

If you ask me for an apple, I'm going to give you want I conceive of as an apple. If you mean something else by the usage of "apple", I would first need to understand what you mean by your usage.

It's impossible to be wrong in regard to word usage, merely abnormal.
        I am going to interpret all of your words from now on as completely agreeing with me whenever we have a debate, and submitting to me as your lord and master.

Comment