Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Determinism And Rationality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    So you believe in free thought and free will? Or is the above just more complicated determinism.
    I haven't actually come to a conclusion on that yet. As far as I'm concerned it's possible that free will can somehow evolve from out of an otherwise determined universe without the necessity of an immaterial ghost entering the picture. It, the will, may be constrained somewhat due to the original deterministic nature of the universe, but I don't believe that makes the choices we make completely determined. We, our brain, can question itself, can look into alternatives and change our beliefs and I don't think that it is determined to do so. That may be what is meant by compatabilism, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Let's say the immaterial mind for now. And of course your mind has agency, don't you believe your immaterial thoughts have influence? And by emergence I mean the mind is dependent on the physical brain, comes from the physical brain. At least for now.
      How does an immaterial entity such as your hypothesized 'soul' interact with the material brain - where's is the connecting point or nexus? Or do you just gloss gloss over that bit?
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment