Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are thoughts causal II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are thoughts causal II

Dodging the very fundamental facts of the nature of the brain, mind, consciousness, and of course our thoughts has lead some Twebbers to assert their beliefs in concluding that there is evidence to support their view is based on evidence and not belief. There is absolutely no evidence that thoughts in and of themselves are causal, and not a product of the natural processes of the natural nature of human physiology.

I believe in God, but I do not believe in agenda arguments concerning the nature of human existence without evidence dominated by a metaphysical argument from arguing from existence.

Other than 'arguing from ignorance' and assertion of beliefs what substance is there in the arguments.

Still waiting for the evidence . . .
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I need a response concerning the claims of the 'hard problem, or that 'philosophical observation' is meaningful without objective evidence, or the negative hypothesis that ;physical reduction of consciousness doesn't work' beyond simply metaphysical assertions based only on beliefs.

Where is the evidence for these subjective assertions that can be used to develop positive hypothesis that can be tested?
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-21-2020, 07:18 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Dodging the very fundamental facts of the nature of the brain, mind, consciousness, and of course our thoughts has lead some Twebbers to assert their beliefs in concluding that there is evidence to support their view is based on evidence and not belief. There is absolutely no evidence that thoughts in and of themselves are causal, and not a product of the natural processes of the natural nature of human physiology.

I believe in God, but I do not believe in agenda arguments concerning the nature of human existence without evidence dominated by a metaphysical argument from arguing from existence.

Other than 'arguing from ignorance' and assertion of beliefs what substance is there in the arguments.

Still waiting for the evidence . . .
      There's a whole literature on mental causation. Hello?
      Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
      George Horne

Comment

Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
        There's a whole literature on mental causation. Hello?

There is whole literature on many things. Some comes in perferated rolls.

Frank

Comment

So, you're an epiphenomenalist or an eliminativist?
          Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
          George Horne

Comment

Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
            So, you're an epiphenomenalist or an eliminativist?
            With qualifications I am epiphenomenalist, and physically evolved. I believe in an independent rational soul. The rational sou is not dependent on the physical brain or mind.

Thoughts are a part of a causal chain and not causal in and of themselves.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-15-2020, 09:21 PM.

Frank

Comment