Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Stare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stare...

Ok picture this, I'm driving home last night, there is a man walking up ahead on the side of the road, about ten cars pass him before I get close, but for some reason I began to stare at him, just as I get to him he turns his head and looks me in the eye. I smiled and waved. How did he know I was staring at him? He didn't turn and look at the other drivers that were ahead of me. I have had similar experiences, having the feeling that someone was staring at me only to turn around and find it so. Or someone quickly averting his/her eyes. A strange human connection.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Ok picture this, I'm driving home last night, there is a man walking up ahead on the side of the road, about ten cars pass him before I get close, but for some reason I began to stare at him, just as I get to him he turns his head and looks me in the eye. I smiled and waved. How did he know I was staring at him? He didn't turn and look at the other drivers that were ahead of me. I have had similar experiences, having the feeling that someone was staring at me only to turn around and find it so. Or someone quickly averting his/her eyes. A strange human connection.
    There is never any doubt in these situations that nothing strange or spooky is going on. We know nature’s ways too well to be fooled by such nonsense.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

images.jpeg
      sigpic

Comment

It's a common thing, but it feels so strange. I have on occasion looked around and caught somebody staring at me. That person reflexively immediately turns away. I have done the same thing often. One time I was staring at the back of somebody's head about six pews directly ahead of me in church, my mind wandering as the preacher got boring. Wouldn't you know, she suddenly turned her head and looked directly at me! In a crowded church no less! It's creepy! And there was another time in a classroom I just happened to be looking around the class, focused on one person, and that person suddenly looked up and saw me staring at her. And no, it's not just women.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          It's a common thing, but it feels so strange. I have on occasion looked around and caught somebody staring at me. That person reflexively immediately turns away. I have done the same thing often. One time I was staring at the back of somebody's head about six pews directly ahead of me in church, my mind wandering as the preacher got boring. Wouldn't you know, she suddenly turned her head and looked directly at me! In a crowded church no less! It's creepy! And there was another time in a classroom I just happened to be looking around the class, focused on one person, and that person suddenly looked up and saw me staring at her. And no, it's not just women.
          Yes despite what FF said, it is strange.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

IIRC several scientists conducted research to see if people could sense it when they were being stared at. They found that they didn't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              IIRC several scientists conducted research to see if people could sense it when they were being stared at. They found that they didn't.
              Of course, "science says..."

Comment

Much better to simply ignore actual evidence

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I remember back when I was little watching a Lassie movie, and the dog was looking at the boy in school through a window. After a while furrowed his brow and looked outside, having felt her watching him.

I think we've all felt something like that.

It is a strange phenomenon. However when its tested in double-blinded controlled experiments, there's nothing to find. This means that whatever evidence we have, it indicates that there's no effect.

Its not a matter of the science being a mean old judge seer. Its just that if you actually test it, this is what we find. I choose to base my beliefs on scientific evidence.

That still leaves us with the phenomenon. Just because we can't actually cause someone else to feel that someone is watching them, at a higher degree than chance, doesn't mean that there's no a social phenomenon. Why do we perceive this thing that you describe?

I personally think its a bit of the gamblers fallacy. We tend to remember the hits, and never the misses. That can leave someone with the false impression that they can make people sense that they're being looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Much better to simply ignore actual evidence
                    You are assuming that something like this could be tested for. You are actually adding another dynamic that may influence this intuitive response.

Comment

How many times have you stared at people when they had no idea that you were staring at them? Just because he turned and looked at you doesn't mean that he knew you were looking at him. You seem to be prone to these similar experiences, seer. Seen any levitating ferns lately?

Comment

You are assuming that something like this could be tested for. You are actually adding another dynamic that may influence this intuitive response.
                        And we call that fallacy Special Pleading. If its that difficult to even test for, how do you even know its a real phenomenon or not?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Seen any levitating ferns lately?
                          Not lately, but I certainly DID see one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            And we call that fallacy Special Pleading. If its that difficult to even test for, how do you even know its a real phenomenon or not?
                            Why do you think that every phenomenon is subject to scientific investigation? Why is science the last word?

Comment

It can. They would have people be stared at at various times and see if they felt anything (you know, the reason why you would turn around) and found no correlation whatsoever.

Comment