Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Roy and Diogenes Abortion Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nah. Roy just isn't into respectful discussion here.
    I wrote:
    Reasoned debate on abortion is impossible here because the anti-abortion posters assume that anyone who would permit any abortion at all,** even on medical or rape grounds, would permit abortion under any circumstances, and then make ridiculous comments about "worshipping on the altar of abortion" and refuse to listen to any objections.

Diogenes immediately confirmed this by replying "The Left wants abortion carte blanche and anything less is considered oppressive and draconian."

He has now started quoting me without attribution in a thread he has banned me from.

I won't waste my time on respectful discussion with people who squander respect.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Stay in your lane, piglet. Satire is my bailiwick.
      Originally posted by seer View Post

running away with tail firmly between butt cheeks...
      Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Ah. I see you've misunderstood my intent. I wasn't highlighting anything; I was merely countering seer's suggestion that Roy wasn't answering due to cowardice.

Please leave the thread.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        You think those are "biological facts"?

Sperm also contain genetic material (which is unique to them), can exist outside of a host, and can be held in stasis and later reactivated. They can be frozen and revived.
        Artificial stasis is not the same.

They could even be considered to be able to reproduce given an egg to fertilise (a man is a sperms way of making more sperm).
        While virus lack the machinery to reproduced, they do have the complete encoding ability, gametes do not.

Sperm meet more of the criteria for being considered life than viruses do.

A zygote even more so. I take that as a concession that a zygote is alive any that abortion then necessarily ends life.

I wrote:
        Reasoned debate on abortion is impossible here because the anti-abortion posters assume that anyone who would permit any abortion at all,** even on medical or rape grounds, would permit abortion under any circumstances, and then make ridiculous comments about "worshipping on the altar of abortion" and refuse to listen to any objections.

Diogenes immediately confirmed this by replying "The Left wants abortion carte blanche and anything less is considered oppressive and draconian."
        The NARAL opposes all restrictions to abortions. That would necessarily be advocation for carte blanche abortion. Minnesota. It only had a judge throw out most restrictions, its PRO Act recognizes no restrictions on abortion. It could be easily asked of any abortion activist what restriction they support and wait for their answer.

Roy, what restrictions abortion do you support or be willing to support to politically compromise to maintain safe and legal abortions?

As a note, you'll only prove my point by refusing to answer.

He has now started quoting me without attribution in a thread he has banned me from.
        Quoting you to another person and responding to you are two separate actions. I was not responding to you. As I stated, once you show good faith here, that will
        be lifted.

I won't waste my time on respectful discussion with people who squander respect.
        Respect is earned.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          Artificial stasis is not the same.
          Clarification: Sperm can be held in stasis and later reactivated. They can also be frozen and revived. Freezing is not the only way in which sperm can be held in stasis.
          Sperm meet more of the criteria for being considered life than viruses do.
          A zygote even more so.
          I don't think you looked at that link.
          I take that as a concession that a zygote is alive any that abortion then necessarily ends life.
          You can take it any way you wish, but it's not a concession, and I'm not being drawn into a discussion on abortion with you.

The NARAL opposes all restrictions to abortions. That would necessarily be advocation for carte blanche abortion. Minnesota. It only had a judge throw out most restrictions, its PRO Act recognizes no restrictions on abortion.
          Which is completely irrelevant to my views on abortion, and proves once again my point that any discussion with you is a waste of time because you will immediately revert to arguing against abortion under any circumstances.
          Respect is earned.
          Then earn it.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Please leave the thread.
            Sheesh.

Comment

Sheesh.
              At the outset I stated this thread is for you and me, I am committed to maintaining a space dedicated for our discussion without distraction.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

At the outset I stated this thread is for you and me, I am committed to maintaining a space dedicated for our discussion without distraction.
                If this was intended for a dialogue or debate between two people on abortion (?).This Philosophy forum was not the best place for it.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment