Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Hypocrisy of (some) Atheists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If there were no God, there would be no universe.
    Assumption of belief without evidence.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Why not? Wasn't Moses, who called for many of these battles, a manifestation of God?
      This was an interesting response I failed to see. I believe the Old Testament is not literally accurate, but reflects both God's Revelation and human response in the reality of the times. I believe warfare at the time was a natural tribal way, and the Hebrews were destined to have a Kingdom, but I am reluctant to except the extreme violence in the ancient days of Judaism were ordained by God, and believe humans have potentially spiritually evolved past this, but it is apparent tribalism still rules today resulting in many unneveedaasy wars an extreme violence.

See post #268
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Another non-answer. Yet Dawkins does call the God of the Bible malevolent, essentially evil. Yet he claims that we live in a universe where, at bottom, neither good or evil exist. And like I said he is free to have an opinion, but that opinion is no more than moral babble. He has no rational justification. And Roy, if you want to interact with my point feel free. but if you are just going to snipe then leave the thread.
        Yes, this is how Dawkins describes the God of the Bible with some justification, but I believe there are human tribal issues involved here a the human view of God. Yes "he claims that we live in a universe where, at bottom, neither good or evil exist " Actually he is correct the inherent nature of our physical existence including our universe are based on Natural Laws and indifferent to good and evil. The question of good and evil arises in the evolved nature of humanity whether God Created us or not. I believe God Created our physical existence essentially good, it remains essentially good neutral to any human concept of good and evil. What is called good and evil is the consequence of the nature of being human.

Frank

Comment