Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Hypocrisy of (some) Atheists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hypocrisy of (some) Atheists...

Let me frame this with two quotes from Dawkins

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent..."

"In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.”

See the problem? It is not only Dawkins, but many non-believers hold this view. They will rail against these perceived Old Testament evils, yet they have no basis, no rational grounds to label anything evil. The objections are meaningless moral babble...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Dawkins seems to confusing Yahweh with Allah.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
      Dawkins seems to confusing Yahweh with Allah.
      Well he is getting on...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

also it seems if they think God is evil and capricious and the universe is indifferent and not good, then that is exactly the type of universe they should expect from such a God. Why aren't they all theists then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          also it seems if they think God is evil and capricious and the universe is indifferent and not good, then that is exactly the type of universe they should expect from such a God. Why aren't they all theists then?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Let me frame this with two quotes from Dawkins

See the problem? It is not only Dawkins, but many non-believers hold this view. They will rail against these perceived Old Testament evils, yet they have no basis, no rational grounds to label anything evil. The objections are meaningless moral babble...
            Yes, I see the problems.

1) You are claiming that Dawkins was labelling God as 'evil', when he did not actually do so. The first quote does not include the word 'evil'.

2) Dawkins saying the universe is neither good nor evil doesn't mean that there can't be individuals (or deities) within that universe that are good or evil.

3) You think your religion (and others like it) hold a monopoly on morality, and that no moral judgements are possible without it. You are wrong.
            Last edited by Roy; 08-31-2023, 10:00 AM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.
            MM on climate change: Looking at the historical temperature data in my region over the past ten years shows that temperatures have been stable ...

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Comment

Because indifference is not what we'd expect from a good deity or an evil capricious one.

Have you fallen into the trap of thinking evil is just an absence of goodness, rather than the opposite of it?

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.
              MM on climate change: Looking at the historical temperature data in my region over the past ten years shows that temperatures have been stable ...

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Comment

Because it's also exactly the type of universe we would expect if there was no God.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Because it's also exactly the type of universe we would expect if there was no God.
                  If there were no God, there would be no universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Yes, I see the problems.

1) You are claiming that Dawkins was labelling God as 'evil', when he did not actually do so. The first quote does not include the word 'evil'.

2) Dawkins saying the universe is neither good nor evil doesn't mean that there can't be individuals (or deities) within that universe that are good or evil.

3) You think your religion (and others like it) hold a monopoly on morality, and that no moral judgements are possible without it. You are wrong.
                    No, on what basis is Dawkins call any act of the God of the Bible or the God of the Koran evil? Like I said: They will rail against these perceived Old Testament evils, yet they have no basis, no rational grounds to label anything evil.

And yes, I am claiming that there are no objective moral truths possible apart from Theism.

Comment

Because indifference is not what we'd expect from a good deity or an evil capricious one.
                      But the God of Scripture certainly is not indifferent. Sending His own Son to save us. That is the furthest thing from indifference.

Comment

No, on what basis is Dawkins calling any act of the God of the Bible or the God of the Koran evil? Like I said: They will rail against these perceived Old Testament evils, yet they have no basis, no rational grounds to label anything evil.

And yes, I am claiming that there are no objective moral truths possible apart from Theism.

Comment

No, on what basis is Dawkins call any act of the God of the Bible or the God of the Koran evil?
                          You haven't quoted Dawkins saying any act of God was 'evil'. No basis is needed for something that hasn't happened.
                          Aw, bless.

Comment

But the God of Scripture certainly is not indifferent. Sending His own Son to save us. That is the furthest thing from indifference.
                            You are confused.

Comment

You haven't quoted Dawkins saying any act of God was 'evil'. No basis is needed for something that hasn't happened.
                              Aw, bless.
                              The important question is to which type of "Theism" is our friend referring? PolyTHEISM, PanTHEISM, HenoTHEISM?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment