Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On Moral Realism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post

How does that translate into ethics?
    The morals and ethics evolve as necessary for the survival of humanity through standards of behavior that ensure stability and cooperation between individuals and groups in a tribe. Pretty much all the major cultures of the world have similar morals and ethics, because of the objective reasons for their survival.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Again and differences do not make it 'subjective.' Different countries and cultures can arrive at differences in laws be objective development of laws, which by the way are becoming more uniform world wide with time.

Moral relativism is the view that moral judgments are true or false only relative to some particular standpoint (for instance, that of a culture or a historical period) and that no standpoint is uniquely privileged over all others.[/QUOTE[

Yhe particular view points of the 'Rule of Law' have an objective basis, Again differences does not equate to being subjective.

OK. It still remains your subjective opinion argument is based on a religious agenda as cited without reference eo an independent reference. Kramer and others do not negate that there are subjective elements to the rule of law, they support that the rule of law has an objective foundation.

I would like to hear your definition and maybe a few examples of what moral relativism is.

If the objective foundations of law can shift with the wind, then what exactly is moral relativism?

Comment

• "Again differences does not equate to being subjective." - Shuny

No, differences do not equate to being subjective. What is subjective is anyone's guess as to which one is moral and which is immoral.

Comment

Again and differences do not make it 'subjective.' Different countries and cultures can arrive at differences in laws be objective development of laws, which by the way are becoming more uniform world wide with time.
          But that is moral relativism by definition. So you agree that laws are morally relative?

Moral relativism is the view that moral judgments are true or false only relative to some particular standpoint (for instance, that of a culture or a historical period) and that no standpoint is uniquely privileged over all others.

The particular view points of the 'Rule of Law' have an objective basis, Again differences does not equate to being subjective.
          What is the OBJECTIVE basis for martial rape being illegal. Be specific please.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The morals and ethics evolve as necessary for the survival of humanity through standards of behavior that ensure stability and cooperation between individuals and groups in a tribe. Pretty much all the major cultures of the world have similar morals and ethics, because of the objective reasons for their survival.
            Why is our survival a moral good? Sure we subjectively want to survive, but that does not make it an objective moral good...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Why is our survival a moral good? Sure we subjectively want to survive, but that does not make it an objective moral good...
              Survival of the species, not the individual person is an natural objective good. Moral and ethics are the result the necessary social cohesion and cooperation for survival of the community.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

But that is moral relativism by definition. So you agree that laws are morally relative?
                Differences DO NOT translate to moral relativism. ALL cultures and societies have basic morals and ethics necessary for the survival of the species.

What is the OBJECTIVE basis for martial rape being illegal. Be specific please.
                Human Rights

Frank

Comment

Survival of the species, not the individual person is an natural objective good. Moral and ethics are the result the necessary social cohesion and cooperation for survival of the community.
                  Was it an objective moral good for Dinosaurs to survive?

Comment

Was it an objective moral good for Dinosaurs to survive?
                    No it was objective bad news for the dinosaurs.

Frank

Comment

No it was objective bad news for the dinosaurs.
                      So using the word objective has no meaning...

Comment

Differences DO NOT translate to moral relativism. ALL cultures and societies have basic morals and ethics necessary for the survival of the species.

Human Rights
                        But many countries don't have human rights. And that is moral relativism by definition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                          "Again differences does not equate to being subjective." - Shuny

No, differences do not equate to being subjective. What is subjective is anyone's guess as to which one is moral and which is immoral.
                          OK for the individual, but morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' are NOT based on 'anyone's guess' or individual personal opinion, Morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' over rule 'personal opinion and 'anyone's guess; and evolved based on 'objective needs of the survival of the human species. Objectively if we did not have morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' humans would not survive.

Frank

Comment

OK for the individual, but morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' are NOT based on 'anyone's guess' or individual personal opinion, Morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' over rule 'personal opinion and 'anyone's guess; and evolved based on 'objective needs of the survival of the human species. Objectively if we did not have morals, ethics, and 'Rule of Law' humans would not survive.
                            But that does not tell us what is objectively right or wrong. Countries with martial rape or slavery survive just fine and have for centuries. China has no human rights and they are doing great...

Comment

But that does not tell us what is objectively right or wrong. Countries with martial rape or slavery survive just fine and have for centuries. China has no human rights and they are doing great...
                              By definitions provided on Objectivism and Subjectivism your questions have been answered. Also as described in detail the Objectivity of morals, ethics and Rules of Law are necessary for the objective survival of the human species.

Frank

Comment

But many countries don't have human rights. And that is moral relativism by definition.
                                No, it does not. Again differences does not negate the necessity of morals, ethics and the 'Rule of Law' for the survival of humanity. It just means that there are subjective attributes in morals, ethics, and the 'Rule of Law. Of course some don't have Human Rights or even 'Rule of Law,' but humanity objectively suffers when 'some' that do not. Reread the reference on Objectivism and Subjectivism, and note that there the Subjectivism of 'some' that based preference is not the dominant collective that the Objective Nature of the need of the survival morals, ethics and 'Rule of Law' is objectively necessary for the survival of humanity.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-22-2023, 10:36 AM.

Frank

Comment