Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On Moral Realism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

Shuny, does God, in your opinion, have any moral preferences concerning our behaviors?
    Yes, that humanity naturally and spiritually evolves to a more universal and beneficial system morals and ethics harmonious with the spiritual progressive Revelation.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

They demonstrate that God's law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

Romans 2:15 NLT
      If written in the hearts of humanity Revelation from God in is indeed progressive and evolving in ALL humanity, and not in one ancient tribal scripture or another.

I believe the evolving dynamic spiritual and physical evolution is indeed progressive and cyclic reflected in the evidence of the history of humanity, evolving life, and the physical history of our earth an universe, and of course written in the hearts of humanity..
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

If written in the hearts of humanity Revelation from God in is indeed progressive and evolving in ALL humanity, and not in one ancient tribal scripture or another.

I believe the evolving dynamic spiritual and physical evolution is indeed progressive and cyclic reflected in the evidence of the history of humanity, evolving life, and the physical history of our earth an universe, and of course written in the hearts of humanity..
        What sort of compass do we use to know the trajectory of any progress?

Comment

Yes, that humanity naturally and spiritually evolves to a more universal and beneficial system morals and ethics harmonious with the spiritual progressive Revelation.
          So God would not support things like adultery, fornication, homosexuality etc...? These are not beneficial - correct?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But the God of Moses is not a tribal deity, Moses was a Manifestation of God. The one true God according to your beliefs. So the God of Moses was not merely a tribal deity.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

If you asked a utilitarian, for example, the answer would be that one moral ideal would tend to promote more happiness for more people than another moral ideal.
              So how are we not back to moral relativism.

Comment

But the God of Moses is not a tribal deity, Moses was a Manifestation of God. The one true God according to your beliefs. So the God of Moses was not merely a tribal deity.
                By definition Moses is not a deity.

Frank

Comment

So God would not support things like adultery, fornication, homosexuality etc...? These are not beneficial - correct?
                  True, but being selective on your part does not address the issue. I believe spiritual laws are not intended to be regulatory civil laws today based on the separation of religion and state.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

What sort of compass do we use to know the trajectory of any progress?
                    Not the Bible advocating and condoning such things as slavery. Unfortunately ancient tribal religions do not have laws against slavery. I believe the Baha'i Faith is on the trajectory.

Frank

Comment

By definition Moses is not a deity.
                      I said the GOD of Moses was not merely a tribal deity, according to your religion...

Comment

True, but being selective on your part does not address the issue. I believe spiritual laws are not intended to be regulatory civil laws today based on the separation of religion and state.
                        So how do you measure progress, if not by the actions of societies...

Comment

Not the Bible advocating and condoning such things as slavery.
                          But it was Moses, a Manifestation of God, who allowed slavery - so obviously God allowed it...

Comment

I said the GOD of Moses was not merely a tribal deity, according to your religion...
                            Not true according to my religion. The Revelation given to Moses was for the tribe led by Moses, which therefore a tribal religion. God is much more universal in his Revelation to humanity than any single ancient tribal religion of past.

Frank

Comment

But it was Moses, a Manifestation of God, who allowed slavery - so obviously God allowed it...
                              Revelation is progressive over time, and evolves spiritual morals and ethics with humanity. As humanity evolves God's spiritual laws evolve. Do you still approve of slavery as moral and ethical today?

Frank

Comment

Not true according to my religion. The Revelation given to Moses was for the tribe led by Moses, which therefore a tribal religion. God is much more universal in his Revelation to humanity than any single ancient tribal religion of past.
                                But that God is not a tribal God - agreed? And BTW Christianity is also a universal Religion, and that came 1800 years before your faith.

Comment