Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Nature of Time Settled Once and For All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nature of Time Settled Once and For All

Presentism is true.

Special Relativistic effects are Lorentzian.

General Relativity is completely compatible with a privileged foliation of time, the presently existing, three-dimensional hyperplane of simultaneity, persisting through one-dimensional time.

Reality isn't a literal, geometric object, a semi-Riemannian manifold, though it can be plotted that way on a Minkowski space-time diagram.

God is temporal to preserve His Omniscience.

To ask about the extent of the Present is a malformed question.

You don't need truth-makers for past and future tense propositions.

Tense is an ineradicable feature of language.

Present tense propositions have truth-makers: the existent Present.

Leave the cult and come to the good side of the force.
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    Presentism is true.
    Agreed, but why do so many physicists hold to B theory?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If presentism is true than the "you" who wrote that post has been destroyed and no longer exists. And the you reading this will be destroyed in 3, 2, 1 buh-bye!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If presentism is true than the "you" who wrote that post has been destroyed and no longer exists. And the you reading this will be destroyed in 3, 2, 1 buh-bye!
        Nope, we are a changing continuum until we die.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Nope, we are a changing continuum until we die.
          Where is the Seer that typed in that statement now? You said the past doesn't exist, therefore that Seer doesn't exist any longer. Poof! Just like the baby Seer from decades ago. No longer exists. Gone.

Comment

Where is the Seer that typed in that statement now? You said the past doesn't exist, therefore that Seer doesn't exist any longer. Poof! Just like the baby Seer from decades ago. No longer exists. Gone.
            But wait, I'm still here writing. And if the Sparko of ten minutes ago still exists of what use is that motionless static being frozen in time? In other words, so what?

Comment

But wait, I'm still here writing. And if the Sparko of ten minutes ago still exists of what use is that motionless static being frozen in time? In other words, so what?
              I assume you don't look like a baby. Where is the baby Seer now? Does he still exist in the past? He sure doesn't exist in the present.

Comment

Agreed, but why do so many physicists hold to B theory?
                Good question. It may not be as settled as the OP would like to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Good question. It may not be as settled as the OP would like to think.
                  Einstein.

Comment

Musical Interlude:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I assume you don't look like a baby. Where is the baby Seer now? Does he still exist in the past? He sure doesn't exist in the present.
                      Of course not, baby seer grew up to be the handsome man you see today. You on the other hand are still in diapers, somewhere...And I will ask again, of what use is that motionless static baby Sparko frozen in time?

Comment

Of course not, baby seer grew up to be the handsome man you see today. You on the other hand are still in diapers, somewhere...And I will ask again, of what use is that motionless static baby Sparko frozen in time?
                        So baby seer doesn't exist, and neither does adult Seer from 1 minute ago, or even 1 second ago. they are gone forever.

Comment

So baby seer doesn't exist, and neither does adult Seer from 1 minute ago, or even 1 second ago. they are gone forever.
                          So what, I exist now, you exist now. Yet my whole life exists in the mind of God, that is good enough for me. And of what use is baby Sparko? I have asked you this a number of times - why won't you answer?

Comment

So what, I exist now, you exist now. Yet my whole life exists in the mind of God, that is good enough for me. And of what use is baby Sparko? I have asked you this a number of times - why won't you answer?
                            What use is present Sparko?

Comment

What use is present Sparko?
                              You provide great comic relief?

Comment