Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Nature of Time Settled Once and For All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

You provide great comic relief?
    Thanks. I didn't know you care.

So I had a visit from my future self yesterday. He told me that the B-theory is the settled science. So now it really is settled. Except he was a bit drunk. Or maybe that was the present me. Anyway, a mirror was involved somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Thanks. I didn't know you care.

So I had a visit from my future self yesterday. He told me that the B-theory is the settled science. So now it really is settled. Except he was a bit drunk. Or maybe that was the present me. Anyway, a mirror was involved somewhere in there.
      I don't like my future self, he is all dried up, winkled and pees on his shoes...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I don't like my future self, he is all dried up, winkled and pees on his shoes...
        Your future self is Joe Biden?

Comment

Your future self is Joe Biden?
          Pretty much...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Pretty much...
            Can you get me a lucrative job where I get paid millions of dollars by China for doing nothing?

Comment

Can you get me a lucrative job where I get paid millions of dollars by China for doing nothing?
              I don't know, what I do know is that my future self can beat up your future self - even if I'm peeing on my shoes while I do it...

Comment

I don't know, what I do know is that my future self can beat up your future self - even if I'm peeing on my shoes while I do it...
                My future self was supposed to count y'all's push-ups that you challenged Sparko to but ended up taking a nap while you two struggled to do one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  My future self was supposed to count y'all's push-ups that you challenged Sparko to but ended up taking a nap while you two struggled to do one.
                  Is your future self peeing on your shoes yet? If not I have both of you beat!

Comment

Is your future self peeing on your shoes yet? If not I have both of you beat!
                    Depends.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Depends.
                      Yes they work!

Comment

Originally posted by mattbballman31 View Post
                        Presentism is true.

Special Relativistic effects are Lorentzian.

General Relativity is completely compatible with a privileged foliation of time, the presently existing, three-dimensional hyperplane of simultaneity, persisting through one-dimensional time.

Reality isn't a literal, geometric object, a semi-Riemannian manifold, though it can be plotted that way on a Minkowski space-time diagram.

God is temporal to preserve His Omniscience.

To ask about the extent of the Present is a malformed question.

You don't need truth-makers for past and future tense propositions.

Tense is an ineradicable feature of language.

Present tense propositions have truth-makers: the existent Present.

Leave the cult and come to the good side of the force.
                        Are you considering the Physics and Quantum Mechanics understanding of time or your religious presuppositions of the nature of time based on your beliefs?

It is likely that the scientific view of time is not compatible with your religious view.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

It is likely that the scientific view of time is not compatible with your religious view.
                          What religious view? There are Christians that hold to B theory, and those who hold to A theory.

Comment

My future self stole all of your future self's bacon so I win.

Comment

What religious view? There are Christians that hold to B theory, and those who hold to A theory.
                              Best to just ignore Shuny. He has no idea what he is talking about but wants to pretend he does. He thought the B-theory was Newtonian in the other thread

Comment

The choice gives less meaning to a philosophical/religious view of the nature of time. Regardless of the choice the theme is a theistic basis for the choice as presented in your first post when you stated the subjective Theistic assumption: 'God is temporal to preserve His Omniscience.'
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment