Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Incest Morally Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    The Law of God is written on the heart of man. Is it not self evident that having sex with your wife on her monthly is not the same offense as having sex with say, her mother? It seems like it's intuitive as to what is right and wrong here. A man having sex with an animal. What's wrong with that picture? You see what i'm saying?
    I could go along with the idea that what the vast majority of people feel intuitively is wrong, is morally wrong, and that everything else is at least neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

So it is not actually immoral. God wouldn't see that as a sin - correct?
      My inclination is that God would see it as sin for anyone claiming to be part of that Covenant -- not because it is inherently sinful, but because it violates His demands.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

A case could be made that after it was no longer a necessity for humanity to be able to be fruitful and multiply, that it became moral law. Essentially, there should be a distinction made between incest before God commanded that they're prohibited (Leviticus 18:6-18) and incestuous relationships that took place after God’s decree was issued.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

My inclination is that God would see it as sin for anyone claiming to be part of that Covenant -- not because it is inherently sinful, but because it violates His demands.
          That Covenant? But not for Christians today?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Romans 2:15 says that the requirements of the law are written on the heart, and taken in conjunction with the idea in the previous chapter that God's attributes are known to all so that people are without excuse, it seems like there is a biblical case for intuitively knowing right from wrong. It's not for nothing that incest is a universal taboo throughout societies.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's not quite incest strictly speaking, but the guy in 1 Corinthians 5 who was having sex with his mother's wife comes to mind. Paul basically went apoplectic on the Corinthians over that. So if that action that wasn't literally incest was enough to elicit that reaction, think about how bad actual incest would be.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If we are going to take seriously --

* Eph. 2:15

* Col. 2:14

* much of Hebrews, including 7:12

* Rom. 13:8-10

* Gal. 5:14

*Jas. 2:8

-- then we have to be open to the possibility that the only part of the Law still in effect for believers is Lev. 19:18.
                Last edited by NorrinRadd; 09-26-2022, 02:22 AM.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

If we are going to take seriously --

* Rom. 13:8-10
                  Paul still seems to use the law as a moral guide:

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gal: 5

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Romans 2:15 says that the requirements of the law are written on the heart, and taken in conjunction with the idea in the previous chapter that God's attributes are known to all so that people are without excuse, it seems like there is a biblical case for intuitively knowing right from wrong. It's not for nothing that incest is a universal taboo throughout societies.
                    Except Ptolemaic Egypt. In such cases incest is political. It is designed to contain all of the power in one family.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Talk about a timely thread; from Pink news...

Why can’t gay or lesbian twins have sex with or marry each other? Why is incest wrong between same-sex siblings?

Some argue that between consenting adults, of the same or a similar age, incest is a victimless crime. That is, of course, providing they don’t reproduce.

So, between twins of the same-sex, where there are no grey areas regarding consent or abuse, and there’s absolutely no chance that either will conceive, why not?

We wouldn’t like to say – but it’s an interesting theory.

That said, in the interest of fairness and equality, if gay or lesbian siblings/twins fall in love and are legally allowed to marry or have sex, it’s not really fair if straight siblings/twins aren’t given the same rights just because some of them can reproduce.

Where would the line be drawn? What if both siblings were infertile? It’s a minefield – though probably one that will be discussed more in the future.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/03/2...-sex-siblings/

Comment

Where there is no possibility of child bearing, say between a father and adult son, or between sisters, in what sense would a secularist consider this immoral?
                        Objectively incest is morally wrong, because it leads to an invcrease in birth defects.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Objectively incest is morally wrong, because it leads to an invcrease in birth defects.
                          I find it funny you say I have a reading comprehension issue on other threads yet you clearly did not comprehend that seer's scenario precluded reproduction and, by extension, birth defects.

Edit: Just realised Shuny is practicing necromancy,
                          Last edited by Diogenes; 03-21-2023, 10:51 AM.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Talk about a timely thread; from Pink news...
                            First, that link was from 2014, not timely even in 2022. Second and more (un)shockingly, DW reported in 2014:

The German Ethics Council has called for the repeal of the prohibition of incest between siblings. In a statement released on Wednesday, the majority of the council's members requested that consensual sexual relations between siblings of legal age should no longer be a crime.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

First, that link was from 2014, not timely even in 2022. Second and more (un)shockingly, DW reported in 2014:

The German Ethics Council has called for the repeal of the prohibition of incest between siblings. In a statement released on Wednesday, the majority of the council's members requested that consensual sexual relations between siblings of legal age should no longer be a crime.
                              Dang the Germans have gone full Hillbilly.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I find it funny you say I have a reading comprehension issue on other threads yet you clearly did not comprehend that seer's scenario precluded reproduction and, by extension, birth defects.

Edit: Just realised Shuny is practicing necromancy,
                                My bad. I dropped one of these and he must have found it.

Comment