Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is time physical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Because they exist at separate, distinct times. As I said before, Time is what keeps everything from happening at once. So now answer my question about God and knowledge of the future that you say doesn't exist.
    This thread is not about God's foreknowledge, start a new thread and I'll join in. And there are not actual distinct "times" in Block theory, time is static. Distinct times lines require actual flow. So you still exist as a baby somewhere in this universe, somewhere in this universe you are already dead. As a matter of fact every second of your past and future life exists in this one universe - somewhere. The universe is experiencing heat death somewhere in this universe and the universe is just being born somewhere in this universe. If that makes sense to you, I don't know what to say. It seems like a blatant contradiction.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

This thread is not about God's foreknowledge, start a new thread and I'll join in. And there are not actual distinct "times" in Block theory, time is static. Distinct times lines require actual flow. So you still exist as a baby somewhere in this universe, somewhere in this universe you are already dead. As a matter of fact every second of your past and future life exists in this one universe - somewhere. The universe is experiencing heat death somewhere in this universe and the universe is just being born somewhere in this universe. If that makes sense to you, I don't know what to say. It seems like a blatant contradiction.
      You won't answer the question about God's foreknowledge because you realize I am correct.

and yes there are distinct times in block theory. every moment in time is such. As we said in the beginning, time is just another dimension like length, height, and depth. Every point in time is a coordinate. Using 4 coordinates x,y,z, & t you can specify the location of any object or event in spacetime. Down to the planck time if you wish.

Comment

You won't answer the question about God's foreknowledge because you realize I am correct.
        No, perhaps God does not have foreknowledge of free willed events. If the block theory of time is correct, I suspect that free will is out the window too. After all every future act is set in stone.

and yes there are distinct times in block theory. every moment in time is such. As we said in the beginning, time is just another dimension like length, height, and depth. Every point in time is a coordinate. Using 4 coordinates x,y,z, & t you can specify the location of any object or event in spacetime. Down to the planck time if you wish.
        No, that doesn't work. Especially when speaking of the universe as a whole. That would make the universe in the state of heat death and in the state of just beginning, and in the state as we see it today. Simultaneously.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, perhaps God does not have foreknowledge of free willed events. If the block theory of time is correct, I suspect that free will is out the window too. After all every future act is set in stone.

No, that doesn't work. Especially when speaking of the universe as a whole. That would make the universe in the state of heat death and in the state of just beginning, and in the state as we see it today. Simultaneously.
          again, not simultaneously because, well you know, TIME!

Comment

again, not simultaneously because, well you know, TIME!
            Now you are speaking of flow! There is no flow in B Theory, time is STATIC.

The B-theory is also described as the static, or block universe theory of time. Since it rejects the distinction between past, present and future, it also rejects the associated view that time is essentially dynamic.

https://www.rep.routledge.com/articl...ally%20dynamic.

Sparko does the initial big bang still exist? Yes or no?

Comment

The B-theory is also described as the static, or block universe theory of time. Since it rejects the distinction between past, present and future, it also rejects the associated view that time is essentially dynamic.

I never mentioned flow. each point in time is discrete. Like I said, think of them as points on a line or ruler that stretches from the big bang to whatever the end of time is.

The big bang exists at T=0. Of course remnants like the MBR still exist today.

Comment

In the block universe, the big bang is at one part of the block, and the heat death of the universe is at another part of the block. They are separated along the time axis.

Incidentally, the idea that the block universe negates free will is kind of like me saying that because I know what you posted yesterday, you didn't have free will when you posted. Someone outside the block universe might be able to see what you will do tomorrow, but that doesn't mean you won't have free will when you do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

In the block universe, the big bang is at one part of the block, and the heat death of the universe is at another part of the block. They are separated along the time axis.

Incidentally, the idea that the block universe negates free will is kind of like me saying that because I know what you posted yesterday, you didn't have free will when you posted. Someone outside the block universe might be able to see what you will do tomorrow, but that doesn't mean you won't have free will when you do it.
                  exactly.

What the heck is going on here? Why are we agreeing on something?

Comment

exactly.

What the heck is going on here? Why are we agreeing on something?
                    I'd like to know, too.

Comment

I never mentioned flow. each point in time is discrete. Like I said, think of them as points on a line or ruler that stretches from the big bang to whatever the end of time is.

The big bang exists at T=0. Of course remnants like the MBR still exist today.
                      So the universe is in its initial state, in its present state, and in heat death as we speak. And I'm not speaking of remnants, I'm speaking all conditions existing in the same universe...
                      Last edited by seer; 08-17-2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Where are these blocks? And this doesn't make sense - the big bang is all of the universe, heat death affects all of the universe. There is not a larger cosmos that contain these other conditions.
                        Last edited by seer; 08-17-2022, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Where are these blocks? And this doesn't make sense - the big bang is all of the universe, heat death affects all of the universe. There is not a larger cosmos that contain these other conditions.
                          In the block universe theory, the universe is one big, four dimensional, block. Everything that has happened, and everything that will happen, are all a part of it. Events that take place at different times are separated along the t axis. The big bang is one slice of the block, where t is very small. The universe as we know it exists at t equals about 13.7 billion years.

Comment

So the universe is in its initial state, in its present state, and in heat death as we speak. And I'm not speaking of remnants, I'm speaking all conditions existing in the same universe...
                            Yes, but each is in it's own time. Looking at the universe from outside time and space it might look something like this, (but in 4 dimensions)

66497594_326936711594850_422296401611849728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=IIjD7BA7FyEAX9wu5IE&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_z5zGpySTthGVKTZXD0p2LyJ5p6UlugYdkzlAD9CaVnQ&oe=63242E51.jpg

Comment

In the block universe theory, the universe is one big, four dimensional, block. Everything that has happened, and everything that will happen, are all a part of it. Events that take place at different times are separated along the t axis. The big bang is one slice of the block, where t is very small. The universe as we know it exists at t equals about 13.7 billion years.
                              And it still makes no sense. There are not multiple universes. The WHOLE universe IS (not was) just beginning to expand, the WHOLE universe IS as we see it today. The WHOLE universe IS (not will be) in heat death. There is no slice because every condition exists as we speak.

Comment

And it still makes no sense. There are not multiple universes. The WHOLE universe IS (not was) just beginning to expand, the WHOLE universe IS as we see it today. The WHOLE universe IS (not will be) in heat death. There is no slice because every condition exists as we speak.
                                No the "whole" universe includes all TIME.

Heck in the A theory, you claim the past and future doesn't exist, so basically a new universe is being created every moment and the old one is destroyed! THAT'S even harder to believe.

Comment