Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is time physical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Is it all stored on a Mind though? The past and the future...all these other frames...are they stored on a Mind? If not, then what are they stored on? The Gif is essentially code stored on a computer chip. What is the "chip" of the past and future frames in a block universe?
    Uh what?

what have you been smoking dude?

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

For thoughts not to be static in B theory you would have to introduce the non-material, a spiritual aspect that is not governed by the laws physics.
      Yeah OK. That's the thing, right? Dualism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Uh what?

what have you been smoking dude?
        I had a cigarette the other day.

Comment

Is it all stored on a Mind though? The past and the future...all these other frames...are they stored on a Mind? If not, then what are they stored on? The Gif is essentially code stored on a computer chip. What is the "chip" of the past and future frames in a block universe?
          Let's see...what was I trying to ask here...

Something about what sense the past and future have existence...

I'll try and think of another way to word it later.

It's just sort of weird that the future already exists and has the same ontological status as the present. Sometimes I have moments of awareness of how weird it really is. It's like I've already made all the decisions I will ever make. Its like we believe we're gliding down the highway, but in fact we're slip sliding away.

Comment

Let's see...what was I trying to ask here...

Something about what sense the past and future have existence...

I'll try and think of another way to word it later.

It's just sort of weird that the future already exists and has the same ontological status as the present. Sometimes I have moments of awareness of how weird it really is. It's like I've already made all the decisions I will ever make. Its like we believe we're gliding down the highway, but in fact we're slip sliding away.
            All we are is dust in the wind.

Comment

The fact is you have no physical evidence for block theory, we have excellent physical evidence for the universe being formed from the hot Big Bang. Block theory is basically grounded in Herman Minkowski’s geometric interpretation of Einstein’s special theory of relativity. And though Relativity could allow for Block theory it does not predict it. And as far as I know there is no physical evidence for eternalism, unless you have a time traveler we could interview. And this question is no way settled, not even close, so I see no good reason to accept block theory over our common experience of the passage of time.
              It's true that we have no evidence for the Block Universe theory. We also have no evidence against it.

I'm not asking you to except it; just to stop misrepresenting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's true that we have no evidence for the Block Universe theory. We also have no evidence against it.

I'm not asking you to except it; just to stop misrepresenting it.
                I did not misrepresent anything, everything I said logically follows from Block Theory. If you think otherwise please show me where - one point at a time please... And by the way we do have good evidence for A theory - and we both experience that evidence every day...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I did not misrepresent anything, everything I said logically follows from Block Theory. If you think otherwise please show me where - one point at a time please... And by the way we do have good evidence for A theory - and we both experience that evidence every day...
                  We would experience B-theory in exactly the same way. And you do misrepresent it. All. The. Time. (no pun intended).

Comment

We would experience B-theory in exactly the same way. And you do misrepresent it. All. The. Time. (no pun intended).
                    Well no, you don't know that, you assume that we would experience B theory like A theory, the fact is no one knows. But tell me what exactly have I misrepresented...
                    Last edited by seer; 10-12-2022, 01:44 PM.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Well no, you don't know that, you assume that we would experience B theory like A theory, the fact is no one knows.
                      Yes, I do know that because I understand B-theory.

But tell me what exactly have I misrepresented...
                      That statement above for one. And your misunderstanding of how the big bang fits in with B-theory. And a lot of other things I have pointed out over and over in this thread.

Look Seer, I know you don't think you are misunderstanding B-theory. You think you understand it completely. But that's part of the problem. You don't but you think you do. DK syndrome.

Comment

Yes, I do know that because I understand B-theory.
                        In B theory our experience of time is an illusion, if that is an illusion how do you know what experiencing time in B theory is like?

That statement above for one. And your misunderstanding of how the big bang fits in with B-theory. And a lot of other things I have pointed out over and over in this thread.

Look Seer, I know you don't think you are misunderstanding B-theory. You think you understand it completely. But that's part of the problem. You don't but you think you do. DK syndrome.
                        Really? That is your example? Try again...
                        Last edited by seer; 10-12-2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

In B theory our experience of time is an illusion, if that is an illusion how do you know what experiencing time in B theory is like?

Really? That is your example? Try again...
                          Sure. Here's another one:
                          "In B theory our experience of time is an illusion, if that is an illusion how do you know what experiencing time in B theory is like?"

Comment

Sure. Here's another one:
                            "In B theory our experience of time is an illusion, if that is an illusion how do you know what experiencing time in B theory is like?"
                            And? How do you know what experiencing time (A or B) if like when the only frame of reference we have is an illusion?
                            Last edited by seer; 10-13-2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

And? How do you know what experiencing time (A or B) if like when the only frame of reference we have is an illusion?
                              1. It isn't an illusion. It is how we experience time.
                              2. If it is an illusion, the point of it would be that the illusion would be that it seems like time was flowing just like in A-theory. So it would seem just like A-theory to anyone in a block universe, right? meaning there would be no difference as far as we could tell between experiencing A or B theory universes. Both would seem exactly the same to us.

Comment

1. It isn't an illusion. It is how we experience time.
                                If B Theory is correct our experience of time is an illusion. That is what B theory claims. In other words we are wrong about the passage (flow) of time.

2. If it is an illusion, the point of it would be that the illusion would be that it seems like time was flowing just like in A-theory. So it would seem just like A-theory to anyone in a block universe, right? meaning there would be no difference as far as we could tell between experiencing A or B theory universes. Both would seem exactly the same to us.
                                My point is that we have no real idea of what it is to experience time, so you can't make any claim. You don't know that if B theory is correct that we would experience time as flow. That is an unfounded assertion. The egg breaks, but never reassembles, in our experience of flow. Perhaps the egg breaks then reassembles in B theory. How would you know?

Comment