Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If the matrix was real, would you live in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the matrix was real, would you live in it?

I am become death...

Would we have a choice?

Comment

Depends on a lot of things. Do I get to know that it's The Matrix while living in it? Do I get to do cool computer hacking stuff? Is there an alternative to live in the human city and plug yourself in to a fake matrix for VR recreation?

So many questions...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
        The Matrix in the movies? No. It's all controlled by the machines, and they're just using people as batteries. Also, they tried to make it a wonderful place to live and the people rejected it, so it ended up pretty much like this world.

On the other hand, having my body protected from harm while my mind could experience all kinds of fun stuff (a different Matrix) sounds pretty good to me!

Comment

I thought we already were?

Confirmed! We Live in a Simulation

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-a-simulation/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

On the other hand, having my body protected from harm while my mind could experience all kinds of fun stuff (a different Matrix) sounds pretty good to me!
            As long as steak taste like steak, not tofu!
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It's NOT?!?!?!?!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

As long as steak taste like steak, not tofu!
                It did in the movie. And no need to be vegetarian as it's all virtual.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post

The Matrix in the movies? No. It's all controlled by the machines, and they're just using people as batteries. Also, they tried to make it a wonderful place to live and the people rejected it, so it ended up pretty much like this world.

If people hadn’t rejected the matrix, would it have been worth staying in?
                  I am become death...

Comment

Hmmm. I would still be at the mercy of the machines, who could change things at any time. Have you watched the Upload series? You can be copied into a computer just before death (anytime really) and you get a kind of computerized afterlife, that resembles a luxurious hotel and surrounding grounds. The problem is that someone has to run the computer in the real world and it's done on a capitalistic model, so someone also has to pay for your continuing existence. The point is that you are always subject to something outside the simulation that you have no control over.

If you are trying to get at whether it's better to be in a virtual world and happy (safe really, happiness is an illusive beast) than to be in the real world, I would tentatively say yes, though with caveats.

Comment

No.

Either you live a life fully deceived - so no flying like Superman or being super rich - or you live a life fully devoid of meaning, connection and purpose.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If I could be rich. Someone important. Like an actor.

Comment

We already have people who spend their entire waking lives playing games. If they ever invented something like a holodeck or the matrix where you could go in and live a fantasy life, you would have people who would never leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            We already have people who spend their entire waking lives playing games. If they ever invented something like a holodeck or the matrix where you could go in and live a fantasy life, you would have people who would never leave.
                            You said that like it was a bad thing.

Comment

It would be a cool thing to just plug in and go to the beach.

Comment