Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What are the Four Areas/Branches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Four Areas/Branches?

I have been studying philosophy again, and it occurred to me: there are four main areas, right?

Which would be: Methaphysics, Ontology, Epistemology and...what would be the fourth? Some say it's Ethics, while others say it"s Anthropology, etc. But what really would be it?

What I am asking, I guess, is this: is there another fancy name we could give to the fourth branch? Just something not as mundane-sounding as "Ethics" (ugh!).

Can anybody think of anything?
    Last edited by Seeker; 10-06-2021, 04:47 AM.

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    I have been studying philosophy again, and it occurred to me: there are four main areas, right?

Which would be: Methaphysics, Ontology, Epistemology and...what would be the fourth? Some say it's Ethics, while others say it"s Anthropology, etc. But what really would be it?

What I am asking, I guess, is this: is there another fancy name we could give to the fourth branch? Just something not as mundane-sounding as "Ethics" (ugh!).

Can anybody think of anything?

Cooking meth is definitely not a branch of philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Cooking meth is definitely not a branch of philosophy.

Yes, I realize now I have misspelt "metaphysics". Forgive me.

However, do you have anything at all to add to the discussion?

Or are you just another random garden-variety troll?

Comment

I don't know...Aesthetics? Logic? Semiotics? Memetics?

I didn't know there were 4 branches. Can philosophy really be reduced to 4 fundamental branches?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
          I don't know...Aesthetics? Logic? Semiotics? Memetics?

I didn't know there were 4 branches. Can philosophy really be reduced to 4 fundamental branches?
          Well, I guess Aesthetics is a good suggestion. I didn't think about that.

I originally read about the "four branches" idea in a book by Christian apologist Peter Kreeft (which is a bit odd, since I was, and still am to this day, an atheist). To Kreeft, they are: Metaphysics, Epistemology, Anthropology and Ethics.

However, it is not the sole property of Kreeft, and indeed seems to be somewhat 'common knowledge' in philosophical circles; for example, we read in the Wikipedia entry for Metaphysics:

"Metaphysics is considered one of the four main branches of philosophy, along with epistemology, logic and ethics".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

So I guess the 'debate' is concerned with what are the four branches.

Anyhoo. Thanks for your second post. It was actually quite helpful.
          Last edited by Seeker; 10-13-2021, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Reality can be reduced to 3 axioms: Existence, Consciousness and Identity. Each one is a necessary existent of the other 2. I have looked at this truth from many different angles for quite a while and I believe that this is true (I have never been able to come up with a 4th, for example).

Your question about the fundamental branches of philosophy is an interesting one. It would be a fun assignment to explore each of these 3 axioms and see if if they had their corresponding branch of philosophy. Here's one possibility:

Existence: Metaphysics
            Consciousness: Epistemology
            Identity: Ontology

Comment