Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free Will and Omniscience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

    Talk to your parents about that.
    I will have that talk.

    Comment


    • #92
      God controls people's free choices based on the reasons He provides for them to base them on. Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing." And God works all things after the counsel of His own will."

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Dave L View Post
        God controls people's free choices based on the reasons He provides for them to base them on. Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing." And God works all things after the counsel of His own will."
        Then according to what you have written there is no free will because "God controls people's free choices" and therefore their "free" choice has already been decided.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

        Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

          Then according to what you have written there is no free will because "God controls people's free choices" and therefore their "free" choice has already been decided.
          Every choice has a reason God sent that causes it. He works all things after His will. “In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:” Ephesians 1:11 (KJV 1900)

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Dave L View Post

            Every choice has a reason God sent that causes it. He works all things after His will. “In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:” Ephesians 1:11 (KJV 1900)
            Well predestination is only one among several Christian beliefs. However, if that is held to then humans are simply puppets controlled at the whim of a Creator Being.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

            Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

              Well predestination is only one among several Christian beliefs. However, if that is held to then humans are simply puppets controlled at the whim of a Creator Being.
              You are either Satan's puppet or God's. I much prefer God.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                You are either Satan's puppet or God's. I much prefer God.
                I prefer to be neither.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

                Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                  I prefer to be neither.
                  You are either lost or saved. And God planned your life, including your choices for you. Do you really think you have free will? James says you cannot even control your tongue.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                    You are either lost or saved. And God planned your life, including your choices for you. Do you really think you have free will? James says you cannot even control your tongue.
                    I think you will find that you and I have somewhat different world views!

                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

                    Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                      I think you will find that you and I have somewhat different world views!
                      Let me guess. You've always held the same worldview? Mine came from a dedicated study of the scriptures. I used to think like you.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                        Let me guess. You've always held the same worldview?
                        Not from birth.



                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

                        Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          Not from birth.


                          But do you agree with the carnal-minded holding the same world view?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                            But do you agree with the carnal-minded holding the same world view?
                            I have no idea what precisely the "carnal-minded" are construed to be.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

                            Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                              I have no idea what precisely the "carnal-minded" are construed to be.
                              Do you have a typical world-view? Everyone including Catholics believe in free will.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                                Do you have a typical world-view? Everyone including Catholics believe in free will.
                                I have no idea what "a typical world view" might be.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

                                Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Seeker, 10-06-2021, 04:40 AM
                                5 responses
                                65 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Machinist  
                                Started by Teallaura, 09-20-2021, 03:42 PM
                                18 responses
                                83 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Stoic
                                by Stoic
                                 
                                Working...
                                X