Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free Will and Omniscience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave L View Post

Learn about imputation before calling someone a liar. Read Romans 5 before spouting off.
    You have stood to accuse how many of how many things in this thread alone? Your preaching contradicts the teachings of Christ and misrepresents Paul's teachings.
    2 Peter 3:15 ... Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. ... 17 be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Which part of Romans 5 are you referring to?

This one?
    3 ... we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
    Certainly not. You don't teach that perseverance is developed.

How about this one?
    be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless
    Again, certainly not.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Totally off topic -- Machinist - I LOVE your avatar. I toured the plant at Dearborn where there was one steam engine that powered a whole long line of machines, all belt driven, and all managed by the diameter of pulley on the machine for speed / torque.
      Thanks!

It must have been a while back when you visited that plant. There's a few steam powered machine shops still around kept mostly like functional museums.

Comment

• With regard to the ongoing conversation, I am reminded of the thief on the cross that asked Jesus to remember him. That was all faith and no works. I guess it all depends on the circumstances of one's life.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

You have stood to accuse how many of how many things in this thread alone? Your preaching contradicts the teachings of Christ and misrepresents Paul's teachings.
          2 Peter 3:15 ... Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. ... 17 be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Which part of Romans 5 are you referring to?

This one?
          3 ... we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
          Certainly not. You don't teach that perseverance is developed.

How about this one?
          be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless
          Again, certainly not.
          Do yourself a favor and study the doctrine of imputation. It will give you a head-start.

imputation. A transfer of benefit or harm from one individual to another. In theology, imputation may be used negatively to refer to the transfer of the sin and guilt of Adam to the rest of humankind. Positively, imputation refers to the righteousness of Christ being transferred to those who believe on him for salvation.

Grenz, S., Guretzki, D., & Nordling, C. F. (1999). In Pocket dictionary of theological terms (p. 65). Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and study the doctrine of imputation. It will give you a head-start.

imputation. A transfer of benefit or harm from one individual to another. In theology, imputation may be used negatively to refer to the transfer of the sin and guilt of Adam to the rest of humankind. Positively, imputation refers to the righteousness of Christ being transferred to those who believe on him for salvation.

Grenz, S., Guretzki, D., & Nordling, C. F. (1999). In Pocket dictionary of theological terms (p. 65). Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.
            I do happen to know what "transfer" means. Because I know the gospel, I also know what the Bible has to say about how that transfer is effected.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I do happen to know what "transfer" means. Because I know the gospel, I also know what the Bible has to say about how that transfer is effected.
              So you agree with me...knowing these things?

Comment

So you agree with me...knowing these things?
                You quite clearly do not know what Christ taught. All you know is out of context, misrepresented portions of Paul's writings - and Paul's writings are not the gospel: they build on the gospel.
                Last edited by tabibito; 08-09-2021, 08:05 AM.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You quite clearly do not know what Christ taught. All you know is out of context, misrepresented portions of Paul's writings - and Paul's writings are not the gospel: they build on the gospel.
                  Do you believe in Pre-Millennialism? If so, you don't know the first thing about Christ's teachings.

Comment

• 2 Thess 2:2 [Do] not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

2 Thess 2:2 [Do] not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
                      This already happened but you apparently missed it.

Comment

This already happened but you apparently missed it.
                        And what date do you imagine it happened?
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And what date do you imagine it happened?
                          ALL Protestants believe the Papacy is the Antichrist. It's in all of their creeds. Only the cults that developed since the 1800s are blind, and still looking for him.

Comment

ALL Protestants believe the Papacy is the Antichrist. It's in all of their creeds. Only the cults that developed since the 1800s are blind, and still looking for him.
                            I am thankful that I am not a protestant then.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I am thankful that I am not a protestant then.
                              It takes a work of God's grace to be one.

Comment

It takes a work of God's grace to be one.
                                God's grace brings a person into Christ, grants the ability to become holy, removes a person's sin, and the penalty for past sins.
                                I see nothing in scripture to indicate that God's grace determines which denomination(s) a person might belong to.

But of course, a person has to know the gospel before being able to understand that God isn't partisan.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment