Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hypostatic Quaternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you saying that Jesus was the reason for Creation? God the Father created matter because of Jesus?

It seems like i've heard that before. I don't get it, but I have heard that.

Comment

• "The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity." - Sparko.

That is indeed a Trinity of sorts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

The Son. You mean Jesus, no?

He is reason for creation?
        Yes, Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God. And is the reason for creation, John 1:14 KJV, John 1:2-3 KJV, Luke 1:35 KJV, Luke 2:11 KJV, Ephesians 3:9 KJV.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

"The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity." - Sparko.

That is indeed a Trinity of sorts.
          The term "Trinity" means the three Persons, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the One God.

Trinity is the name of that explanation. Explaining the explanation has been stated as three Who's who are One what.
          Last edited by 37818; 04-18-2021, 09:12 AM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post

Explaining the explanation has been stated as three Who's who are One what.
            That is indeed One Nebulous Enigma!

Comment

• Dr.Suess could probably explain it better.

Comment

• Hypostasis is how things are 3 and 1 at the same time. It's a quantum function. "Quantum" being the closest analogy. A quantum bit, so i'm told, can be in two states and in two places...at the same time. Now I do not understand this. But that is how it is explained in every news article regarding how quantum computers work. They call it superposition and entanglement. Quantum computers are much faster than today's computers because they can take advantage of their 1's and 0's having the property of being a 1 and a 0...at the same time. I think I explained that correctly.

We could say then that the computations within the motherboard of a Quantum computer (if quantum computers have motherboards), is analogous to Hypostasis.

Comment

Hypostasis is how things are 3 and 1 at the same time. It's a quantum function. "Quantum" being the closest analogy. A quantum bit, so i'm told, can be in two states and in two places...at the same time. Now I do not understand this. But that is how it is explained in every news article regarding how quantum computers work. They call it superposition and entanglement. Quantum computers are much faster than today's computers because they can take advantage of their 1's and 0's having the property of being a 1 and a 0...at the same time. I think I explained that correctly.

We could say then that the computations within the motherboard of a Quantum computer (if quantum computers have motherboards), is analogous to Hypostasis.
                  Not in this context. It is from Neoplatonism the non-Christian Greek philosophical school from which Christianity obtained the language and the concept. There is nothing in the Septuagint [the early Christian's scripture] to support a belief in a Triune deity.

The language found in the gospel of John is periphrastic and contradictory.

John 14.9 "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" is later contradicted at 14.28 "because the Father is greater than I" and again at 14.31. "but I do as the Father has commanded me,"

And earlier at John 5.30 "I can do nothing on my own."

None of those verses suggest what the later Triune creed would contend.

Hence over a century of argument and contention concerning this construct of a Triune godhead. The matter could only be resolved by Imperial edict which stated what must be believed and with it carried the threat of severe punishment for those who dissented.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Hey! Thanks for contributing to my stream of thoughts here!

I am beginning to think that God is not really a trinity per se, but that is something that man has imposed. It can't be One, because the Hebrew's have that number. It can't be two because then it would be too eastern (yin/yang). It can't be 4, 5 or 6, because then it just gets too complex. 3 is just a nice number.

If God is a spirit, then it makes no sense to say the Spirit's spirit. Omnipresence intuitively makes sense to me, I guess I can sort of apprehend the concept, which would put the Spirit (which is God) everywhere, and then the theologians over the centuries creatively imposed a trinity upon their understanding of the history of the Jews, and of Jesus, and the way in which this omnipresent Spirit has interacted with mankind.

I like the Trinity and I have no problem with associating with any group that is Trinitarian, but I fail to see how that is such an important doctrine.

Also, I think the quantum analogy may have been a little overboard. I do think that if the Universal Spirit was indeed intrinsically 3 parts, then there would be an unmistakable 3-ness observable here in our plane. I think it was a literary device of sorts that evolved in the musings and meditations of ancient theologians. And I don't think it was done divisively or deceptively in any way. It was very imaginatively synthesized and codified and I have only immense appreciation for it. It's something I would not even dare bringing up in conversation with anyone in person because it's just not worth straining relationships I have with those who embraces this doctrine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I tend to allow a lot more slack here -- I don't think it's a damnable heresy to NOT UNDERSTAND the Trinity, but it would be silly to be able to be accepted without acknowledging the concept of "God in Three Persons".

If somebody "rejects" the Trinity, they're basically rejecting the Godhead, and Christ in particular.
                      (Double-checks to see if this is Xtian-only.)

193306935_10158159106000835_355398554030169554_n.jpg

My sis-in-law posted that meme las week. I had to google it.

Athanasian Creed
                      Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith unless every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: that we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Essence. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one; the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal. Such as the Father is; such is the Son; and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated. The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited. The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal. And yet they are not three eternals; but one eternal. As also there are not three uncreated; nor three infinites, but one uncreated; and one infinite. So likewise the Father is Almighty; the Son Almighty; and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not three Almighties; but one Almighty. So the Father is God; the Son is God; and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not three Gods; but one God. So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not three Lords; but one Lord. For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity; to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord; So are we forbidden by the catholic religion; to say, There are three Gods, or three Lords. The Father is made of none; neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created; but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding. So there is one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is before, or after another; none is greater, or less than another. But the whole three Persons are coeternal, and coequal. So that in all things, as aforesaid; the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, let him thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation; that he also believe faithfully the Incarnation of our Lord ...

It goes on for a while ... Lutherans like that.

Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.svg.png

Bonus points for the pretty picture. Because if you're going to violate the laws of arithmetic, it pays to violate the laws of identity first. Identity is transitive, in classical logics. Since my Christianity is restricted to God as an idea, and I grabbed the chance to study non-classical logics with Willem Blok, non-transitive identity for deities doesn't bother me much.

YXMV.

Comment

• Bonus points for the pretty picture. Because if you're going to violate the laws of arithmetic, it pays to violate the laws of identity first. Identity is transitive, in classical logics. Since my Christianity is restricted to God as an idea, and I grabbed the chance to study non-classical logics with Willem Blok, non-transitive identity for deities doesn't bother me much. -Juvenal

Now this is interesting. Thank you for contributing! Identity is transitive. Hmmm. That is very interesting. I don't get it. But it's interesting. I will get it if I keep thinking about it. I've got family here with me for the next several weeks, and it's hard to pontificate upon such abstractions while entertaining guests, but I would greatly appreciate more of your thoughts. I'll check back in most likely on weekends. It's really difficult for me to be proficient at anything on my job or with my family while my mind is off in theoryland pondering logic. It's really been a problem for me lately, and I've got to curb theologyweb a little.

Comment

• Is there a possible configuration of abstractions where Jesus is still Divine, still God, and not necessarily part of any Trinity? Per the above diagram obviously, no. But is this the right diagram for the Universal One Mind?

I mean, is it conceptual art or is there some logic here?

Last edited by Machinist; 06-06-2021, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• I don't believe you can have a religion, or a doctrine, around something that makes sense. There must be, it is necessary, that at the heart of any doctrine, there must be something ineffable and incomprehensible. Otherwise, you understand, thus making the supernatural on the same level as man. A symmetrical abstraction, a puzzle, like the diagram above is a perfect mandala, so to speak...for lack of a better term here. It gives the mind something to do, something to look at, and trace with the finger and gives rise to the "ah-ha...I get it" feeling, from which all the other doctrinal details are then built upon.

I showed this diagram to a small child during service yesterday, and the child looked up at me and said " I get it" . I did not add anything to this either, just simply handed the printout to her. She looked at it for a few moments, then traced her finger around the triangular geometry and said " I get it...the Father is not the Son....The Son is not the Holy Spirit...The Holy Spirit is not the Father.............................The Father is God....The Son is God........The Holy Spirit is God." Those were her exact words to me.

The diagram has internal symmetry and a self contained and self verifying logic. But where did it come from? Is it Art? Or is this truly a triune axiom of the nature of God that can be observed in nature, independent of the Bible? Could you make a diagram with a quaternity for instance, and if I handed it to a young child, would they still "get it"?

Comment

• The above diagram...it's an equation for the Trinity. It's an ontological equation, complete and whole. It exists in man's mind, and man's mind conceptualized and formulated this equation. Therefore it exists, but only ontologically. It is in itself the Fractal of the Trinity.

Comment

Hey! Thanks for contributing to my stream of thoughts here!

I am beginning to think that God is not really a trinity per se, but that is something that man has imposed.
                                This was the fundamental problem within Christianity, namely the attempt to reconcile the monotheism of Judaism with its ineffable and invisible deity and the Hellenised concepts of anthropomorphic deities. This problem has never really gone away and hence today there are still non-Trinitarian denominations in existence.

Even after the First Council of Nicaea the issue was far from resolved and following that council where the party of Alexander [Trinitarians/Nicene Creed] had proven victorious over Arius [subordinationism] many Eastern bishops later withdrew their support for the imperial policy of Homoousion [as stated in the Nicene Creed]. They were led by Eusebius of Nicomedia, one of the chief advocates for the Arian cause. Despite accepting the Homoousion creed at Nicaea, he had refused to condemn Arius and for this Constantine deposed and exiled him. He was recalled within a matter of years and became Constantine’s confidant. Constantine wished to achieve a consensus theology to be established in the East and it was Eusebius who represented this recidivist move away from Nicaea much to the annoyance of Athanasius, whom Eusebius managed to depose at the Arianizing Synod in Tyre in 335 CE. In 341 CE he presided over the Dedication Council at Antioch.

This event marked the ascendancy of official Arianism for the next generation in the East. It changed when Theodosius I became Augustus of the East in 375 as he supported the Nicene creed. He later became sole emperor in 392 and reigned until 395. However, prior to that those last decades of the fourth century saw imperial Christianity effectively split with the two Augusti supporting different belief as Valentinian II [375-392] in the West remained a Homoean [i.e. a subordinationist].

The only way that a Triune Godhead could be established by the dominant Christian group was by force i.e. Imperial decree with penalties [often very severe] for anyone who disagreed/dissented. It was essentially a political decision.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment