Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Clergy Project: Org for preachers who lose their faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outis View Post
    The Project does not consist of "trusted pastors" (your phrase). It consists of former pastors who are working to help council pastors who want to leave their church. The entire purpose of the Project is help people get out of a pulpit, not to support them in the pulpit.
    It also consists of current pastors that can commiserate with each other and encourage each other in their difficulties. The Project, while trying to help create an path for non-believing pastors to exit their respective church, also seeks to support them emotionally while they are still pastors and trying to find a way out, which often takes time.

Done trying to nitpick?
    Last edited by Paprika; 02-10-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Er, yeah - I'm still looking for supports for pastors who are dealing with doubt but haven't found anything. I think I'll just start another thread on it...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Forgive me for saying so, mose, but you seem to have very little understanding of what Christianity is all about. And very little of what Christians believe.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Mose
          You're right, can't diss it until you try it and the christian walk is not for me, neither would I have the potential to achieve Christ's greatness. I never have been a true christian in my life but I've talked to many christians and have asked many questions so I wouldn't say I don't have a clue about what Christians believe. I've just never applied it or adopted their viewpoints into my beliefs. I think I understand christianity enough to the point where I can say that there's nothing but God's Wrath stored up for me. I don't mess around with the christian religion anymore.

I can't come up with a better way to say that I can't forgive my fellow man and my soul is in serious danger, I can't love my brother. When God created his rules he sure made it hard. Count me out, this is ridiculous. Did I misunderstand that part of christianity? There's a better creator out there, there has to be.
          What rules do you have in mind? In particular, are you thinking about the commandments to love one's brother/forgive sins?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Mose
            I can't come up with a better way to say that I can't forgive my fellow man and my soul is in serious danger, I can't love my brother. When God created his rules he sure made it hard. Count me out, this is ridiculous. Did I misunderstand that part of christianity? There's a better creator out there, there has to be.
            No, God did not make it hard. He made it impossible. Then he provided salvation in Jesus Christ. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to rely on Jesus Christ.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

"No, God did not make it hard. He made it impossible."

## Which is the point - or half of it. The other is this "Then he provided salvation in Jesus Christ. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to rely on Jesus Christ."

If salvation/likeness to Christ were within our power to achieve, we would be in a position to look down on those who did not "come up to scratch". But none of us does. In comparison with God, every Christian in the universe - bar none - is a dismal failure; and the ones who are most Christ-like are the ones who are most keenly aware of how far they fall short of God's glory.

The "rules" are not the point of Christianity - or rather, are not the point of life "in Christ". Nor is the Bible, not by a long long long way. Christ is. If we start giving the Bible, or rules, or even our failure to live by them, or our attempts to live by them, or our own self-righteousness, pride of place, instead of giving pride of place to Christ & Christ alone, we will:

(1) go crazy trying to do the impossible

(2) be making something that is not central, into what is central

(3) become absolutely miserable

(4) very likely give up following Christ entirely

And all because we put the emphasis, not where it belongs, on Christ - but instead, on what we (fail to) do. Nothing in all creation, but nothing, is to be set on an equality with, or above, or in the place of, Christ.
              Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 03-09-2014, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                What rules do you have in mind? In particular, are you thinking about the commandments to love one's brother/forgive sins?
                Surely you've reduced belief to an absurd degree here. If the minimal requirement of a Christian is merely not lying, stealing, and murdering while also being quick to forgive, why add the burden of belief to it? Lots of people who were enculturated to worship different gods, or no gods at all, are kind and behave themselves.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X