Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Clergy Project: Org for preachers who lose their faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Clergy Project: Org for preachers who lose their faith

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...cape-ministry/

This isn't a new story, but I just came across it today. From a Christian perspective, I actually think this organization is not a bad thing. It notes that preachers who abandon Christianity often feel like they have no job prospects, so they often continue preaching, keeping their atheism secret. For obvious reasons, I do not believe this does parishioners any service at all, and it sets them up for devastation if/when they learn they were lied to. By giving these people some job resources in a frankly tough market, it makes it easier for them to do the right thing and leave pastoring to those who are genuinely Christians.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Can't disagree with the premise - but isn't it sad to need such a thing? I think we as Christians need to do a better job ministering to our pastors to try and prevent ever needing such a service.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Can't disagree with the premise - but isn't it sad to need such a thing? I think we as Christians need to do a better job ministering to our pastors to try and prevent ever needing such a service.
      I wonder if there are any organizations out there specifically to help pastors struggling with their faith.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I just think this is another example of how blind, unbiblical faith and a lack of apologetics within the Church has crippled the faith of some.
        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Very possibly, but there will always be pastors who leave the faith, even if the modern church was doing a stellar job at providing for its member and converts. And even if the church was doing a stellar job, the number of apostate pastors might still be large. So something like may just be a sad necessity anyways.

Heck, who knows. Maybe it'd help serve to bring some of the apostates back.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
            I just think this is another example of how blind, unbiblical faith and a lack of apologetics within the Church has crippled the faith of some.
            That, or being "called to be a pastor" is one of the more common tropes I've encountered.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I would hazard one major reason behind this phenomenon is the isolation of one local church from the Church. One natural choice for pastors who are struggling should be to seek out trusted pastors, which is precisely what they are doing when they interact in the Project, turning to counselling from other pastors, but on an anonymous basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                Very possibly, but there will always be pastors who leave the faith, even if the modern church was doing a stellar job at providing for its member and converts. And even if the church was doing a stellar job, the number of apostate pastors might still be large. So something like may just be a sad necessity anyways.

Heck, who knows. Maybe it'd help serve to bring some of the apostates back.
                I agree, apologetics is not a magic force shield against apostasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  I would hazard one major reason behind this phenomenon is the isolation of one local church from the Church. One natural choice for pastors who are struggling should be to seek out trusted pastors, which is precisely what they are doing when they interact in the Project, turning to counselling from other pastors, but on an anonymous basis.
                  The project mentioned in the article is not about counseling for from other pastors, but for pastors who have already lost or left their faith. A project of the type that you are speaking of would be a good idea as well, but the one in the article is not what you refer to.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                    The project mentioned in the article is not about counseling for from other pastors, but for pastors who have already lost or left their faith. A project of the type that you are speaking of would be a good idea as well, but the one in the article is not what you refer to.
                    the clergy continue at their jobs and seek out the online community for emotional assistance
                    They seek out peers- people who are or have been in similar positions.

Comment

They seek out peers- people who are or have been in similar positions.
                      Yes, but the Project is not about supporting pastors in their church--it's about supporting pastors in _leaving_ their church. Not that doing so is a useless activity, but it's not the same thing.

Comment

Yes, but the Project is not about supporting pastors in their church--it's about supporting pastors in _leaving_ their church. Not that doing so is a useless activity, but it's not the same thing.
                        And other pastors can't do that?

Comment

And other pastors can't do that?
                          They certainly could--but that's not what this Project is about.

You do also have the issues of denominational compatibility. Some Baptist (for example) pastors would feel very uncomfortable talking with a Catholic priest, or a Nazarene, or a Presbyterian. Catholics and Orthodox may have some issues. That kind of thing. Though the Catholics and Orthodox usually have a greater resource for this, as they can (and are supposed to) go to their fellow priests, their bishops, that kind of thing.

Comment

They certainly could--but that's not what this Project is about.

Since the project does involve struggling clergy seeking emotional assistance, what is your point?
                            The Clergy Project’s goal is to support members as they move beyond faith. Members freely discuss issues related to their transition from believer to unbeliever including:

Wrestling with intellectual, ethical, philosophical and theological issues

Coping with cognitive dissonance

Addressing feelings of being stuck and fearing the future

Looking for new careers

Telling their families

Sharing useful resources

Living as a nonbeliever with religious spouses and family

Using humor to soften the pain

Finding a way out of the ministry

Adjusting to life after the ministry
                            Last edited by Paprika; 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Since the project does see struggling clergy seeking emotional assistance, what is your point?
                              Are you just so interested in being right that common sense does not enter into the equation?

The Project does not consist of "trusted pastors" (your phrase). It consists of former pastors who are working to help council pastors who want to leave their church. The entire purpose of the Project is help people get out of a pulpit, not to support them in the pulpit.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X