Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

MGs leaving the church and whatnot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGs leaving the church and whatnot

I hardly start threads because I just like to see you guys go at it, but this one kinda caught my eye.

Starlight was in a forum about this but it turned more into the rights of homosexuals(not saying it's his fault).

Anyways I can't speak for any MGs besides me(and maybe my friends) but I can't remember the last time I went to church.
    At first I didn't go to church because like every other teenager: 1. I just want to sleep 2. I don't wanna go because I'd get bored.
    Then a few years later I began to question Christianity(I became Agnostic) and at that point I looked up Christian Apolotgetics and for the most part the questions I had were answered.
    This was about two years ago or so and at this time that was when I found Tweb(and blessed you all with my Kinglyness) and Tekton.

Anyways long story short I just don't feel that there's anything new to learn in Church, so why go?
    Though for my friends for them it's more about being busy working(one of them is going on a mission trip soon actually) or just not feeling like going.

So what's you guys opinions on us?
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

The main reasons to go to church involve fellowship and corporate worship. The lessons and sermons aren't deep/meaty enough.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

unus christianus nullus christianus

I don't go to church to learn, though I always do learn something; I go to church to fellowship. We are also scripturally enjoined to go (Heb 10:24-25). How can you be a part of the church (ecclesia, which literally means "assembly") if you don't assemble with it?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Go to Church to fellowship and to give. Give of your talents, love, encouragement, means, self.... ask not what your Church can do for you - ask what you can do for your Church*!

*with apologies to JFK
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Church is not about fellowship initially. That is a secondary.

Church is about corporate worship. That involves corporate music/singing and prayer, and the most important part of worship is hearing God's word preached in it's entirety and without compromise.

Sadly, church is not that anymore. It is entertainment and funny life stories and silliness and irreverence. Find a church that teaches the word of God foremost and all the rest should fall into place, including fellowship and ministry to others.

Good luck with that, by the way. Finding such a church, I mean......
          Last edited by mossrose; 07-17-2015, 09:23 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
            Anyways long story short I just don't feel that there's anything new to learn in Church, so why go? \
            All the more reason why you should go. Teach and encourage those who are still learning.

I've been going to church for 47 years, and there's still a lot I'm learning.

Like in Choir practice: Those who know the songs are more likely to skip practice. Sometimes I wish they were there next to me keeping me in tune.
            When I Survey....

Comment

What's an MG?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Millennial Generation. Probably. The teens and twentysomethings that older folk make a big deal about. Even though it woul be their fault for not teaching us well enough about life.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Millennial Generation. Probably. The teens and twentysomethings that older folk make a big deal about. Even though it woul be their fault for not teaching us well enough about life.
                  Ah. That makes sense.

On a side note, my son made me proud tonight. He is 14 and is attending VBS at his grandma's church. It's a tradition spanning the last 18 years. Anyway, his leader tonight said "Faith is believing in what you can't see" () My son didn't miss a beat and raised his hand and said "No it isn't. It is believing that someone will do what they say because they have proved themselves trustworthy before". I BEAMED!
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    ... He is 14 and is attending VBS at his grandma's church. It's a tradition spanning the last 18 years ...

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      His oldest sister is 20. She started going with Grandma when she turned 2.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        His oldest sister is 20. She started going with Grandma when she turned 2.
                        I was going to church 9 months before I was born.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I hardly start threads because I just like to see you guys go at it, but this one kinda caught my eye.

Starlight was in a forum about this but it turned more into the rights of homosexuals(not saying it's his fault).

Anyways I can't speak for any MGs besides me(and maybe my friends) but I can't remember the last time I went to church.
                          At first I didn't go to church because like every other teenager: 1. I just want to sleep 2. I don't wanna go because I'd get bored.
                          Then a few years later I began to question Christianity(I became Agnostic) and at that point I looked up Christian Apolotgetics and for the most part the questions I had were answered.
                          This was about two years ago or so and at this time that was when I found Tweb(and blessed you all with my Kinglyness) and Tekton.

Anyways long story short I just don't feel that there's anything new to learn in Church, so why go?
                          Though for my friends for them it's more about being busy working(one of them is going on a mission trip soon actually) or just not feeling like going.

Hebrews 10: 24 & 25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

You are a pretty bright young man, don't let yourself be fooled and sidetracked.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Like you, I am a Millenial (age 20), and like you, I was an agnostic before my conversion (of an admittedly supernaturalist bent), however, I did not discover Christianity through private exploration, but instead while in a Christian setting I saw something I could not explain and so I researched and found this site in a fairly similar way as yourself, but I had that initial connection with churchgoing Christians which I at first uncritically accepted as just what Christians "did."

Over time I've come to accept church as a place of worship as per:
                            “What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.”
                            **1 Corinthians‬ *14:26‬ *ESV‬‬
                            This is corporate worship and needful if one wishes to be like the earliest Christians.

TL;DR: Church isn't about what you get, it's about what you give to God, and to your brothers in the faith (which God counts as given to Him! 😃👍)
                            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

We just had our Annual Church conference. And about half of those attending were under the age of 25. Was encouraging.
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X