Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mobile Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Church

We have a Wednesday Night service at our Church - VERY informal -- light meal at 5:30, then Bible Study and Prayer at 6:00.

I'm thinking about making Wednesday Nights "Mobile Church". We have, for example, Jim - the mission project where our Church is helping build their house and helping him and Diane get through his very serious illness while waiting for Jim's liver transplant - and Jim hasn't been to Church in almost 2 years because he can't get out of the house.

Considering such things as his weakened immune system, etc, we're talking about doing our Wednesday Night service at Jim and Diane's house, including communion service, so Jim can "attend" his first Church Service in almost 2 years. His wife is quite excited about this.

Then I thought of another homebound person, then... it might just be fun to do a "house church" in the home of any member who wants to host us for a Wednesday Evening.

Maybe even visit another local Church for their service, or have Church in the park.

Thoughts?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Shut-ins often get nothing more than a mention in the bulletin.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Great idea!

Jim's immune system won't be compromised by having a bunch of people in his living room? That's the only drawback I can see......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Great idea!

Jim's immune system won't be compromised by having a bunch of people in his living room? That's the only drawback I can see......
        I just visited with his wife - she said his immune system is solid, because it's fortified for preparation for the transplant. I'll still have our people be sensitive to that (nobody with colds, etc) but she is excited about having us come over in a couple weeks.

We have had TORRENTIAL rain, so it's kinda "soggy" out there in the country. Maybe it will have a chance to dry up a bit.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I just visited with his wife - she said his immune system is solid, because it's fortified for preparation for the transplant. I'll still have our people be sensitive to that (nobody with colds, etc) but she is excited about having us come over in a couple weeks.

We have had TORRENTIAL rain, so it's kinda "soggy" out there in the country. Maybe it will have a chance to dry up a bit.

Send some rain our way! We are burning, literally. Wildfires all over the place, it's so dry.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Send some rain our way! We are burning, literally. Wildfires all over the place, it's so dry.
            I keep hearing the oldtimers say "I've never seen that creek that high" or "I've never seen that field flooded before" or .... "they're gonna have to redraw the 'hundred year flood' maps".

At least 5 confirmed deaths in Houston so far, with more that we know of that aren't yet "official".

Comment

I keep hearing the oldtimers say "I've never seen that creek that high" or "I've never seen that field flooded before" or .... "they're gonna have to redraw the 'hundred year flood' maps".

At least 5 confirmed deaths in Houston so far, with more that we know of that aren't yet "official".
              I saw something in the paper this morning about a river 3 times higher than flood stage (40 ft. vs. 13 ft.).

My brother-in-law's first wife was swept away by flood waters. They're a lot more powerful than people expect.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I saw something in the paper this morning about a river 3 times higher than flood stage (40 ft. vs. 13 ft.).

My brother-in-law's first wife was swept away by flood waters. They're a lot more powerful than people expect.
                  One of the stories was of two first responder rescuers in a boat plucking 4 other people out of the water, then, in the swift current, the boat capsized, and they lost some of the family members. Imagine how traumatic that would be - you HAD them, and you lost them. And for the families to know they were ALMOST saved. As far as I know, two of them (children) are still missing.

I think there are a total of about 12 "presumed lost" besides the 5 "officially dead".

Yeah, people have NO IDEA of the power of the current. One guy walked out onto a bridge where water was running over it a foot deep. He was just walking out there to see how deep it was, and the current swept his feet out from under him, and carried him downstream. Fortunately for him, there was a rescue operation already ongoing downstream, and they snagged him as he floated by.

Comment

If you doubt the power of water, just wade out into the ocean till you are knee deep. Even the most gentle of swells nearly knock you off your feet.

Comment

OK, Wednesday night meal starts in a few minutes, then we're going to discuss "Mobile Church".

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

OK, Wednesday night meal starts in a few minutes, then we're going to discuss "Mobile Church".

I'll let you know how it goes.
                        Just like I thought. They're excited to do it.

Before Christmas, we did the "mobile church" thing and all went to a local nursing home where one of our faithful members was living out her last days. Little did we know that this was the last Church service she would experience on this planet, and talked about it to her family - literally - for the rest of her life.

We came up with three homes in which we can do "Mobile Church" on Wednesday nights.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X