Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Term for people who renounce antitheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Term for people who renounce antitheism

I remember a while back some video on FAs and that they had a term for people who reject their dogma for theism. I know Dawkins or one of his ilk used the term to describe Antony Flew(?) when he left the fold.

Was Flew an antitheist per se?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I know he left Dwako and Harris' cult and became a deist. They FAs were not happy.

They used a term for his conversion, but I forgot what it was.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Flew's atheism was never the same as wackos like Dawkins.

I DO remember some NAs insulting Flew by suggesting he was becoming senile in his old age for becoming a deist.

Comment

They called Flew senile.

Comment

I can't remember that word. It was pretty much the FA equivalent of apostasy.

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
              I can't remember that word. It was pretty much the FA equivalent of apostasy.
              Turncoat
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                They called Flew senile.
                They are likely correct.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I would use the term enlightened.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Bless your heart, Shuny.

Comment

He coherently explained his reasoning for his change of mind; that doesn't indicate senility.

Pat Robertson is more of the type of person you would suspect to be senile because his reasoning tends to be less coherent whenever he makes his patented controversial statements.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        He coherently explained his reasoning for his change of mind; that doesn't indicate senility.

Pat Robertson is more of the type of person you would suspect to be senile because his reasoning tends to be less coherent whenever he makes his patented controversial statements.
                        I'm not familiar with Pat Robertson, so I just wanted to clarify that my amen was only for the first part about Flew.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I'm not familiar with Pat Robertson, so I just wanted to clarify that my amen was only for the first part about Flew.
                          He was a respected American televangelist who has made countless headlines for making strange statements over the past 10-15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            He was a respected American televangelist. . . .
                            I think that pretty much explains why I know practically nothing about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              I think that pretty much explains why I know practically nothing about him.
                              I used to see some stuff of him while waiting for something else to come on(they oddly had him on certain channels that had a few cool cartoons, not sure why). Earlier in my life he seemed okay. As he got older, everything seemed to go downhill. Although that could be because I understood things better as I got older.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X