Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What constitutes a Christian denomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    Why do I only see the whole other denominations hate denomination A/B only on the internet?

It is necessary to attempt to portray Christianity as screwed up.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
      Indeed. There is a correct interpretation. And maybe no one has it.
      I don't see that implication. There are good reasons to believe the Bible is not univocal, and that those voices can disagree.

Comment

Why do I only see the whole other denominations hate denomination A/B only on the internet?
        Because that's the only place you look?

"Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics... and the Catholics hate the Protestants... and the Hindus hate the Moslems... and everybody hates the Jews!"

Roy
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

"Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics... and the Catholics hate the Protestants... and the Hindus hate the moslems... and everybody hates the Jews!"

Roy
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

But the Muslims are makin' us love each other!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics... and the Catholics hate the Protestants... and the Hindus hate the Moslems... and everybody hates the Jews!"

Roy
            It's because it the ONLY place I see it.
            I've never seen it happen on a large scale in any place where I've lived, and the "denominations" are pretty diverse.
            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

It's because it the ONLY place I see it.
              I've never seen it happen on a large scale in any place where I've lived, and the "denominations" are pretty diverse.
              Our Church shares our building with a Lutheran Congregation ... Southern Baptists & Lutherans! And, so far, the body count is remarkably low.

Comment

Roy
                Fify.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Our Church shares our building with a Lutheran Congregation ... Southern Baptists & Lutherans! And, so far, the body count is remarkably low.
                  You speak with other denominations?Gross.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                  Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Fify.

I remember in the OLD days, we used to have "Race Relations Sunday" the Sunday closest to Valentine's Day. Us white preachers "traded pulpits*" with black preachers, and I just know I had a LOT more fun preaching to black congregations than the black preachers had preaching to white congregations.

*I always thought that was funny, cause the pulpits actually stayed with their respective churches.

Comment

You speak with other denominations?Gross.
                      When the Lutheran Pastor invited our group to share their annual fellowship meal, I really got him laughing when I said... "well, I guess it would be OK --- Jesus ate with sinners, too!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        *I always thought that was funny, cause the pulpits actually stayed with their respective churches.
                        If the Baptists didn't nail down their pulpits, they'd all be taken over by the potluckers.

Comment

Fify.
                          Reminds me of Bo Burnham.

Comment

If the Baptists didn't nail down their pulpits, they'd all be taken over by the potluckers.
                            too late

Comment

Mainly because although they are subsets of the Catholic church there are differences in their beliefs and teachings. For example, Franciscans follow the teachings of Francis of Assisi, but mainstream Catholics may not.

Roy
                              They aren't subsets, they are part of the larger RCC in communion with. They however Focus on, a seperate mission portion making up the Church's reach.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Ummm, only because they try to pretend they are. Christian Science is about as Christian as you are (have you ever read their theology?), the Mormons have an entire book and a prophet that makes 'new' revelations, WBC's theology is well... unique (to say the least), and the Jehovah's Witnesses also have written their own book and have their own 'unique theology'. If somebody is going to name off 'Christian Groups' (IE groups because many on the list are also not denominations, but groups), they might want to first define who they are calling 'Christian' and what they are defining as a 'denomination' because The Knight's Templar are about as much of a 'denomination' as the Masons are.

Christian Science is Neither.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X