Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What constitutes a Christian denomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    The first denomination and major cult was to become a state church and claimed itself as Catholic. Teaching water baptism was required to be born again. And the Lord's supper was required in order to have eternal life. Among other things.
    This is nearly completely incorrect. It's a topic for another thread, however.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You have been sounding like a Chinese fortune cookie lately. <snip>
    ". . . For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or [if] ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with [him]. . . . For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. . . ." -- 2 Corinthians 11:4, 13.

". . . But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. . . ." -- Galatians 1:8

The first denomination and major cult was to become a state church and claimed itself as Catholic. Teaching water baptism was required to be born again. And the Lord's supper was required in order to have eternal life. Among other things.
    Last edited by 37818; 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Only things of perceived value are counterfeited.

You have been sounding like a Chinese fortune cookie lately. Do you also provide lottery numbers?

Leave a comment:

replied
    That's really splitting hairs. From that article .... "“Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country..."

Anyway, what's the point?
    Only things of perceived value are counterfeited.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

Christianity has more sects than any other world religion. Of course not all are genuine Christianity.
    That's really splitting hairs. From that article .... "“Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country..."

Anyway, what's the point?

Leave a comment:

replied
    http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

Christianity has more sects than any other world religion. Of course not all are genuine Christianity.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    I've heard almost precisely the same statement from Catholics regarding the Reformation.
    Ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda...

Leave a comment:

• Boxing Pythagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I just kind of find it hard to believe it would take the church 1800 years and suddenly a group of people would get it perfect
    I've heard almost precisely the same statement from Catholics regarding the Reformation.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    The Churches of Christ (who claim they are not a denomination because of the autonomy of the local churches, but I'm not so sure I'd say they're not) are fairly adamant about it. I had one friend in high school who was involved with them who gave me a book explaining why every other denomination was wrong. One of the book's big problems with the Baptists (which was me) was allowing instrumental music in worship.

I just kind of find it hard to believe it would take the church 1800 years and suddenly a group of people would get it perfect
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    It's because it the ONLY place I see it.
    I've never seen it happen on a large scale in any place where I've lived, and the "denominations" are pretty diverse.
    You must not live near any Seventh Day Adventists.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Although the Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox are both autocephalous, they are in communion with one another and do not consider themselves denominations; they are both part of the universal church, like the other Orthodox jurisdictions in communion with them.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    Why do I only see the whole other denominations hate denomination A/B only on the internet?
    Because its ok to be a hater on the interwebs when you have a mask to cover your identity?

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    There aren't many Protestant churches in New York City so there are a lot of house churches there. Do they all count as their own individual denomination for these numbers?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I remember in the OLD days, we used to have "Race Relations Sunday" the Sunday closest to Valentine's Day. Us white preachers "traded pulpits*" with black preachers, and I just know I had a LOT more fun preaching to black congregations than the black preachers had preaching to white congregations.

*I always thought that was funny, cause the pulpits actually stayed with their respective churches.
    Did you ever do an "Al Gore"? You know, start slipping into stereotypical black Baptist preacher mode of speech.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Ummm, only because they try to pretend they are. Christian Science is about as Christian as you are (have you ever read their theology?), the Mormons have an entire book and a prophet that makes 'new' revelations, WBC's theology is well... unique (to say the least), and the Jehovah's Witnesses also have written their own book and have their own 'unique theology'. If somebody is going to name off 'Christian Groups' (IE groups because many on the list are also not denominations, but groups), they might want to first define who they are calling 'Christian' and what they are defining as a 'denomination' because The Knight's Templar are about as much of a 'denomination' as the Masons are.

Christian Science is Neither.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X