Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

WWCoG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWCoG

Not sure Where else to put this, But Mickiel's odd rantings and the fact that he claims he was once a member of the World Wide Church of God, has me pondering about this cult. I knew someone who attended it, then left it for the Catholic Church, (her original faith as a child) and I knew someone who went there and actually left and went crazy) She was raised in it. I have read about it from a book called the Kingdom of the Cults, However I don't know much else, other than the movement started out called the "Anglo-Israeli" professed a disbelief in the Holy Spirit, worshipped on Saturdays and claimed the tribes of Israel were British. From what I understand Armstrong professed a final Belief in the Holy Spirit but was consequently disfellowshipped for many reasons. Perhaps I am a sucker or have a soft spot, but does anyone have any further information on this cult?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Basically, it's totally different from Armstrong s day. Many changes in doctrine were effected by his son, I believe, after he took charge of the organization. Been a while since I read up on it...a few years ago my dad was claiming the Assemblies of God were associated with Armstrong and I was trying to figure out where in the world that idea came from.

Here's a link I found .. http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/armstrong.htm
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

My grandmother was very into Armstrongism. when we cleared out her house, we burnt a large number of his books (none of us wanted them and we were burning a lot of other junk that day. her house was scary.)

Under Armstrong it was definitely very much a cult, with strong British Isrealistism teaching (and a healthy dose of plain racist teaching that goes along with that). and the had a number of other weird beliefs.

My understanding is that under his son, these have largely been abandoned and they are becoming more orthodox in their beliefs (Cultwatch has changed their status)
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Orthodox

Monotheistic
        Affirms Trinity
        Affirms deity of Christ
        Affirms salvation by grace through faith
        Affirms Virgin birth

Unorthodox

Allows for the ordination of women as Pastors

Unclear

No official statement affirming inerrancy

Source: https://carm.org/what-does-worldwide...elieve-it-cult
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Not a fan of Carm's definition of Unorthodox as I believe in Ordination of women is practical for many churches
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's not too bad... WWCOG used to ban makeup for women and forbade any kind of medical treatment.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X