Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mark Driscoll and the Mars Hill Megachurch complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yep, but that one is in Christianity 201 so he wouldn't be allowed to post there anyway...at least not without an exception...
    There's a decent story, if a bit breathless, linked at the end of that thread worth including here. It's dated August 6, 2014.

Why the Mars Hill Faithful Have Started to Question Mark
    Driscoll’s puffed-up, chest-beating, hyper-macho interpretation of the Bible has always been big on submission and authority. He’d become the Christian equivalent of a rock star: controversial, colorful, attractive to some and repulsive to others, with profiles in major publications from Christianity Today to Mother Jones to the New York Times either just published or just around the corner.

Overall, I think it's a good backgrounder.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      There's a lot of financial issues involved here, and I think that means there's a good chance this will find its way into the courts eventually.

I remember when the Bakker thing blew up somebody asked Billy Graham for comment, and he was careful to mention how the right kind of oversight could have prevented it. There's a church organization being referenced in some of these articles, the Evangelical Council on Financial Accountability.

I'd imagine Mars Hill members will likely be wishing their leadership had gone to the trouble of putting themselves under that umbrella soon enough. When they're firing folks for asking how much the elders are making, it's a sure sign they're making more than the ECFA allows without disclosure ... about $150k.
      Seriously, when I started out in the ministry, I was told very clearly that there are two really easy ways for pastors to get into trouble: sex & money.

I always make sure I am NEVER alone with a woman at Church, or go to lunch alone with a woman, or counseling a woman without my wife or secretary present, etc, and I try NEVER to handle Church money. Even if somebody tries to give me their tithe or offering money, I'll try to politely decline, and if they insist, I have them put it in an envelope and seal it. (When you're visiting an 80 year old lady who is home-bound, and she insists on the Pastor taking her tithe check, it's a notable exception)

If you look at those "biggies" in the ministry who have fallen, it's usually about sex or money (or both) and lack of accountability.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Though I have several friends that seem to be fans of Driscoll, I don't really know anything about him. The things I have heard have not been terribly positive.

For example, read this account.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Though I have several friends that seem to be fans of Driscoll, I don't really know anything about him. The things I have heard have not been terribly positive.

For example, read this account.
          I honestly don't know how to judge this guy. Even his public detractors seem quite supportive of his ministry. But then, I kinda wonder if I'm seeing an abused spouse syndrome. When he's kind, he's very kind, and when he's abusive, he's a holy terror. Maybe what he needs most is to learn some moderation.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Oh, one other thing, Zym. You corrected me on a grammatical correction of mine some time back. I blew you off with a bogus excuse.

Sorry about that. You were right. I was wrong.

Comment

Oh, one other thing, Zym. You corrected me on a grammatical correction of mine some time back. I blew you off with a bogus excuse.

I just love it when ya'll admit to error!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I just love it when ya'll admit to error!
                I'm pretty sure however y'all spell it, it's plural.

I vote we wait for Zym to tell us both.

Comment

I'm pretty sure however y'all spell it, it's plural.

I vote we wait for Zym to tell us both.

Comment

I confess to having no memory of this. I think ya'all old guys are having a bad influence on my memory.

But thanks!
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I confess to having no memory of this. I think ya'all old guys are having a bad influence on my memory.

But thanks!
                      Pedantic man here. If you insist upon using a Southernism please get it right. It's y'all not ya'all. Thank you in advance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Pedantic man here. If you insist upon using a Southernism please get it right. It's y'all not ya'all. Thank you in advance.
                        Unless, of course, one's sole purpose is to aggravate brother Jesse, then it's ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Only damnyankee's write ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Unless, of course, one's sole purpose is to aggravate brother Jesse, then it's ya'll.
                            Oh, sorry CP. Didn't see y'all sitting there.

Comment

Only damnyankee's write ya'll.
                              Ouch! I feel like one of Samson's Philistines.... slain by the jaw of an ass.

Comment

Oh, sorry CP. Didn't see y'all sitting there.
                                I'm telling mom.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X