Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life Forms & Exoplanets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Life Forms & Exoplanets

    I watched the attached video a few days ago. It got me thinking about the reality that somewhere in the cosmos something exists probably very similar to what is depicted in the video. I think with the sheer number of planets out there, not to mention potentially earth-like planets in habitable zones, it is almost certain that there are other life forms living such an existence.

    I am interested in an explanation for such phenomena from a Christian pov. Of course participation and feedback from others is equally appreciated.


  • #2
    My theory is that in the "new age" to come, these planets will be inhabited (this was probably God's plan for Adam's descendants prior to the fall) and the heirs of Christ will rule over these populated planets.

    Let me make clear though; I don't believe there is intelligent life yet. If such a discovery is asserted, it will be a deception.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by seanD View Post
      My theory is that in the "new age" to come, these planets will be inhabited (this was probably God's plan for Adam's descendants prior to the fall) and the heirs of Christ will rule over these populated planets.
      Billions of planets are uninhabitable being too far or too close to the host star. Many are also gas giants. So no life can be sustained on billions of other planets. Why do you think God created all those?

      Let me make clear though; I don't believe there is intelligent life yet. If such a discovery is asserted, it will be a deception.
      So out of all the potentially trillions of planets out there, you believe little planet earth in the backwater galaxy of the milky way is the only life-bearing planet in the cosmos?

      Comment


      • #4
        As to your first question, that would have to be filed under the long list of things that are a mystery right now. Perhaps those are universes yet to be born (Rev states that God will create a new heaven and earth as the former one passes away). Isaiah 9:7 proclaims that Jesus' kingdom will forever increase. Daniel 7:27 states that all of heaven and earth will be given to the saints. Certain hints and clues such as these, though anecdotal, support the theory. I also believe that God's promise to Abraham's seed numbering the stars of the heavens wasn't just hyperbole.

        As to your second question, I think that heaven is a physical place out there somewhere, but I was assuming you were speaking of random intelligent life. Nothing is random under God's creation. That wouldn't be Christianity; that would be deism. Though it's highly possible that the declaration (or manifestation) of random intelligent life may be the catalyst of the coming deception.
        "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

        Comment


        • #5
          So you believe that "heaven" is essentially the visible universe?

          Comment


          • #6
            Possibly. Possibly in another dimension
            "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanD View Post

              Isaiah 9:7 proclaims that Jesus' kingdom will forever increase. Daniel 7:27 states that all of heaven and earth will be given to the saints. Certain hints and clues such as these, though anecdotal, support the theory. I also believe that God's promise to Abraham's seed numbering the stars of the heavens wasn't just hyperbole.
              From a stock of 2 billion heaven-bound souls (the current number of Christians on the planet), 100 octillion new people, or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 souls will come. That's probably hyperbole. If not, there will be a staggering amount of reproduction in heaven.


              Originally posted by seanD View Post
              As to your second question, I think that heaven is a physical place out there somewhere,
              You said that saints will rule their own planets. That sounds like a plurality of worlds, not just one place.

              Originally posted by seanD View Post
              but I was assuming you were speaking of random intelligent life. Nothing is random under God's creation. That wouldn't be Christianity; that would be deism. Though it's highly possible that the declaration (or manifestation) of random intelligent life may be the catalyst of the coming deception.
              Some Christians are uncomfortable with the idea of other exoplanet civilizations enduring the same dramatic unfolding that earth and its inhabitants have experienced. Such environments--if under the same stresses--would likely necessitate a similar salvation plan as supposedly occurred here, but that takes away from the uniqueness of the earthly passion play. It bakes one's noodle to posit Jesus-type manifestations occurring on exoplanets.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by whag View Post
                Some Christians are uncomfortable with the idea of other exoplanet civilizations enduring the same dramatic unfolding that earth and its inhabitants have experienced. Such environments--if under the same stresses--would likely necessitate a similar salvation plan as supposedly occurred here, but that takes away from the uniqueness of the earthly passion play. It bakes one's noodle to posit Jesus-type manifestations occurring on exoplanets.
                Yes it certainly is a challenge. At this point in time some Christian's are still holding on to the fact that "we have absolutely no evidence of life forms on other planets", so the above simply isn't an issue. Well, I think the ground they are standing on will increasingly shrink as progress is made so I would encourage them not to be smug on this matter and repeat the mistakes of history. I think it's reasonable to assume if I were to go back in time and talk with say John Calvin (a geocentrist) and tell him, "actually not only is heliocentrism true but there are trillions and trillions of stars just like our sun with planets revolving around them and many of them are earth-like planets as well!" I am quite sure he would point out that there is absolutely no evidence for such wild speculation and secular fables that are more appropriate for a godless, random, naturalistic worldview than the one derived from revelation.
                Last edited by Scrawly; 08-18-2014, 10:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                  Yes it certainly is a challenge. At this point in time some Christian's are still holding on to the fact that "we have absolutely no evidence of life forms on other planets", so the above simply isn't an issue. Well, I think the ground they are standing on will increasingly shrink as progress is made so I would encourage them not to be smug on this matter and repeat the mistakes of history. I think it's reasonable to assume if I were to go back in time and talk with say John Calvin (a geocentrist) and tell him, "actually not only is heliocentrism true but there are trillions and trillions of stars just like our sun with planets revolving around them and many of them are earth-like planets as well!" I am quite sure he would point out that there is absolutely no evidence for such wild speculation and secular fables that are more appropriate for a godless, random, naturalistic worldview than the one derived from revelation.
                  I love that these discoveries have legitimized what once would've been thought of as "crazy questions." There's lots of freedom now to believe different things in Christianity, thanks to these incredible findings (we are evolved primates, there are lots of habitable worlds in the universe, etc).

                  One thing that really solved the Christian question for me was the exoplanets. If the first couple fell here, what would be the chances of the same thing happening elsewhere under similar conditions? Probably likely. Other worlds would have to match the obstacles people face on earth. If not, they are at a distinct advantage.
                  Last edited by whag; 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For the first specific clear description of the possibility many solar systems and worlds check out the Roman phiilosopher Lucretius ~99BCE to ~35 BCE
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                    go with the flow the river knows . . .

                    Frank

                    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      For the first specific clear description of the possibility many solar systems and worlds check out the Roman phiilosopher Lucretius ~99BCE to ~35 BCE
                      Do you know of any Christian's who held to the same view in times of old?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                        Do you know of any Christian's who held to the same view in times of old?
                        Much later some cited Lucretius, for possibly believing in this 'many worlds.' If I find these citations I will post. Independently at the time around this period, no.

                        I believe much later Islamic philosophers/ theologians cited him and shared his views.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                        go with the flow the river knows . . .

                        Frank

                        I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X