Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My brief (and polemical) thought about Christianity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian3
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    On a less serious note, I've had the opportunity to sit under the teaching of Dr J I Packer for a week, and when he would talk about the Trinity, he would refer to "God in three PAIRsons*". I don't know why, but I always got a kick out of that.

*British accent, and all
    Funny. I have J.I. Packer's book, "Knowing God" and it is excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    On a less serious note, I've had the opportunity to sit under the teaching of Dr J I Packer for a week, and when he would talk about the Trinity, he would refer to "God in three PAIRsons*". I don't know why, but I always got a kick out of that.

*British accent, and all

Leave a comment:

• Christian3
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    No it wouldn't, because three people is not equal to three beings.

Leave a comment:

• Seeker
    replied
    Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    So bitter.
    More likely, he knows very well who he is talking to. And he knows it is not worth it.

And you call yourself a Christian?

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    It is not accurate to say three people in one being because that would mean there are three beings in one being and God is only one Being.
    No it wouldn't, because three people is not equal to three beings.

Leave a comment:

• Christian3
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. Saying "3 people in one being" wouldn't really be the conventional way to phrase it, but I fail to see how it differs semantically from "3 persons in one being" even a little bit.
    It is not accurate to say three people in one being because that would mean there are three beings in one being and God is only one Being.

Leave a comment:

• demi-conservative
    replied
    Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    You think my post is somehow representative of New Atheism ideas? How did you come to that conclusion?
    So amateurish, at level of 'not worthy of rebut', like others said.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Don't bother taking anything demi-conservative says seriously. He's only here to troll.
    So bitter.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Well... At *some* point, you'll need to address what is meant by "Let *US* make..." in Genesis, or "The Word was with God and the Word was God," or "Before Abraham was, I AM," or any number of other passages.

No passage uses the word, "Trinity," and not all of those passages I cited may be relevant, but there are plenty of passages that do suggest multiple distinct persons all referred to as "I AM" or "God" or "Lord." You can't preach on them without saying *something* about what they mean.
    Yes, but if you're just doing expository preaching - exegesis - there is no place really that presents "the doctrine of the Trinity".... even without demanding the name Trinity, which is obviously not there. The closest I can come with all three persons of the Trinity is the Baptism of Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Just an aside, I was talking with some pastor friends about expository preaching, and one of them mentioned the notion that, if you only preach expository sermons - going through the Bible book by book, verse by verse -- you will never preach on the Trinity.
    Well... At *some* point, you'll need to address what is meant by "Let *US* make..." in Genesis, or "The Word was with God and the Word was God," or "Before Abraham was, I AM," or any number of other passages.

No passage uses the word, "Trinity," and not all of those passages I cited may be relevant, but there are plenty of passages that do suggest multiple distinct persons all referred to as "I AM" or "God" or "Lord." You can't preach on them without saying *something* about what they mean.
    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Rats.... you saw that, did ya?
    I had my glasses on.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So LJ is hacking the prodder of bovines' account?
    Rats.... you saw that, did ya?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    That would be ME!
    So LJ is hacking the prodder of bovines' account?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. Saying "3 people in one being" wouldn't really be the conventional way to phrase it, but I fail to see how it differs semantically from "3 persons in one being" even a little bit.
    But that HAS to be right, cause that's how it is in the hymn, "Holy Holy Holy".... God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    Some think "three persons" means three people; it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Who was it that had that "treaty" analogy for the trinity? I thought that was a very good one.
    That would be ME!

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Let's suppose that there is a treaty drawn up between the US and Germany. How many treaties are executed? The answer is three: A treaty executed in English, a treaty executed in German, and a treaty executed in French (which of course is the language of the UN). Every one of the these three treaties is fully the treaty, they are not just copies of the treaty. The English Treaty is fully and actually the treaty apart from and separate from the other two. The French version is fully and actually the treaty...again apart from and separate from the others. At the same time, the German Treaty is also fully and separately the actual treaty. Yet, there is no question that the treaties are different as one is in English, one in French and one in German. So, you have one "Thing", the treaty between the US and Germany can be made up of three "Things" (the English, German and French treaty) where each of them is fully the "Thing" (the treaty) but each of the 3 things are distinct from each other.

There you have it, three things that are one thing.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X