Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opinions on Billy Graham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And perhaps what we consider to be a person[’]s actual moral condition has nothing to do with christ [sic] or religion. If you really stopped to think about it, the premise of your religion, i.e. of sin and redemption for believers, makes no sense. If you think it does make sense, perhaps you could point out the logic in it for us nonbelievers?
    Firstly, it would be much appreciated if you would take the care into capitalising the letter C in the word ‘Christ’ when referring to the Lord Jesus. I have observed your failure to do so twice in messages that you have posted on this thread (#223, #225). If it is/was an honest mistake, so be it, but this appears to be a habit of yours.

Secondly, irrespective of whether you are presently cognisant of it, there is a definite logic or rationale behind Christian theistic beliefs. A human’s relationship to God is, first and foremost, that of a creature to its Creator. I will readily grant that the concepts of sin and redemption are incoherent apart from the reality of God as Creator. (Even God’s sovereignty is logically [and chronologically] subordinate to his role as Creator. The former proceeds out of the latter.)

The entire system of Christian thought begins and ends with God. Apart from God, nothing else is. God alone is without beginning, self-existent, inherently immortal, and everlasting. Everything else – that is, all that is created – owes its existence and sustenance to God: material and immaterial, visible and invisible.

Morality and immorality, righteousness and unrighteousness, good and evil, are defined by God. God is sovereign over all of his creation. The standard for righteousness has been established by God. Therefore, as Creator and Lord, it is God’s prerogative to require obedience and establish consequences for disobeying his commandments. The attempt of humans to usurp the role of God as rightful lawgiver and judge, to take upon themselves the authority to define what is right and wrong according to their own reasoning, is the essence of sin (as demonstrated in the narrative of Genesis 3).

As an agnostic, you have no solid foundation on which to stand for morality. You have no reference beyond an anthropocentric, culturally defined, malleable, non-absolute, subjective sense of right and wrong. The key word is anthropocentric: man-/human-centred. God has no place in your world view.
    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 02-26-2018, 04:47 AM.
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
      Firstly, it would be much appreciated if you would take the care into capitalising the letter C in the word ‘Christ’ when referring to the Lord Jesus.
      Your time would be better spent teaching a herd of pigs to sing the Hallelujah Chorus.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Your time would be better spent teaching a herd of pigs to sing the Hallelujah Chorus.
        Yup, it is a concerted effort to be disrespectful.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I never got that.... Jesus is a proper noun, but some atheists go out of their way to spell it with a lower case j, same with god vs God, as if that somehow validates their unbelief. It's like if you don't believe in Santa Clause, do you spell that with lower case? (But, then again, this is JimL we're talking about)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I never got that.... Jesus is a proper noun, but some atheists go out of their way to spell it with a lower case j, same with god vs God, as if that somehow validates their unbelief. It's like if you don't believe in Santa Clause, do you spell that with lower case? (But, then again, this is JimL we're talking about)
            I think sometimes people just get lazy when typing. I know I do. Lots of times I'll just not capitalize anything. I don't mean anything by it. Not sure if that's true in Jim's case though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              I think sometimes people just get lazy when typing. I know I do. Lots of times I'll just not capitalize anything. I don't mean anything by it. Not sure if that's true in Jim's case though.
              Jim's typing is so... um... 'nonstandard' it's hard to tell, but I just checked my story, and... mostly, he capitalizes Jesus. My apologies to the Jimster.

Comment

• i have decided that using capital letters and punctuation is a waste of time because nobody reads what I write anyhow and so i will just keep typing what i want to type until my fingers get tired or accidentally hit the enter key and then I will s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  i have decided that using capital letters and punctuation is a waste of time because nobody reads what I write anyhow and so i will just keep typing what i want to type until my fingers get tired or accidentally hit the enter key and then I will s
                  tl;dr

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    tl;dr
                    ts;dr

Comment

I think sometimes people just get lazy when typing. I know I do. Lots of times I'll just not capitalize anything.
                      You're fibbing!

Comment

• Originally posted by cow poke View Post
                        you're fibbing!
                        no i'm not.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          And perhaps what we consider to be a persons actual moral condition has nothing to do with christ [sic] or religion. If you really stopped to think about it, the premise of your religion, i.e. of sin and redemption for believers, makes no sense. If you think it does make sense, perhaps you could point out the logic in it for us nonbelievers? [emphasis added]
                          Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                          Firstly, it would be much appreciated if you would take the care into capitalising the letter C in the word ‘Christ’ when referring to the Lord Jesus. I have observed your failure to do so twice in messages that you have posted on this thread (#223, #225). If it is/was an honest mistake, so be it, but this appears to be a habit of yours.
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I will leave it to JimL to confirm, deny, or remain silent on the matter. If he is failing to capitalise purposefully and/or out of some kind of disdain for Christ, it is my wish that he shall soon change his course. I do not have any desire to continue engaging with persons on matters of salvation who openly and flagrantly despise or make a mockery out of the Lord Jesus (see Mt 7.6).
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                            I will leave it to JimL to confirm, deny, or remain silent on the matter. If he is failing to capitalise purposefully and/or out of some kind of disdain for Christ, it is my wish that he shall soon change his course. I do not have any desire to continue engaging with persons on matters of salvation who openly and flagrantly despise or make a mockery out of the Lord Jesus (see Mt 7.6).
                            You obviously do not know Jim's history, but, to each his own.

Originally posted by JimL
                            I don't believe in god, I believe the biblical god to be fictional, and have made that clear many times. But Jed, who seems to have a personal vendetta against me lately, accusing me of multiple infractions, one of which he already was forced to retract, has now given me one for stating my belief that the biblical god is a fantasy. So, my question for those in charge of the rules here is, is Jed correct in that non-believers are no longer allowed to voice their disbelief in god, and should we expect to receive an infraction each time we do so?
                            The dear boy didn't get an infraction for "stating his belief", as he falsely clamied - it was for blaspheme, making a mockery of each member of the Trinity.

Comment

no i'm not.
                              You tried to type that in all caps, didn't you, and TWEB whacked you!

Comment

You tried to type that in all caps, didn't you, and TWEB whacked you!
                                lol. yep. is that a thing it does?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X