Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Junia topic redirected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Junia topic redirected

Originally posted by tabibito

The term is there used in a non-Biblical sense. Biblically, apostles second class cannot be found - Paul only nominates one kind of apostle.
    Andronicus, Junia, and Barnabas predate Paul.

Without going into all the ifs, buts, and maybes:
    An apostle is a commissioner (if a person) - according to Paul, first rank in the church hierarchy.
    The the term apostolos (G652) is translated as "messenger" in Philippians 2:25 and 2 Corinthians 8:23.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Andronicus, Junia, and Barnabas predate Paul.
    As believers, certainly. As apostles - no data. Barnabas and Paul were appointed apostles in the same time. Timothy, and Silas apparently later. Apollos - no data. There is quite a lengthy list of named apostles ... and never anything to indicate that there is a rank of apostle second class.

The the term apostolos (G652) is translated as "messenger" in Philippians 2:25 and 2 Corinthians 8:23.
    Paul apparently didn't expect that. 2Cor 8:23 is an interesting interpretative exercise.

Theological redefinitions of the words used don't occur until long after the Bible was written. If the author invented a new definition for a preexisting word, he would know that anyone who had not been instructed in the use of the new definition would misinterpret what had been said. Nor would it be viable for the man who defined the apostle's rank as foremost in the church to use that same word to indicate a different role without mentioning that he was doing so.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Gee ... that IS a hard one. But an apostle by definition cannot be God himself, nor can a messiah.
      As a quick aside from what I have saved, Hebrews 3:1 would disagree.

Edit: Apparently it got deleted . It's fair and what I deserved for the aside .
      Last edited by Diogenes; 12-21-2022, 06:23 PM.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X