Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am referring to the new chaplain at Harvard. Not Jeffrey, or for that matter, Jacob.
    My sincere apologies - I jumped to a wrong conclusion.

(see how simple that is?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My sincere apologies - I jumped to a wrong conclusion.

(see how simple that is?)
      Your assumption was understandable given that there are many people with the name Epstein.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Your assumption was understandable given that there are many people with the name Epstein.
        But I misspoke, and apologized, because I was wrong. It's the decent thing to do.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Imagine not believing in God and becoming... a humanist. 0 personality. 0 soul. 0 imagination. Literally "White liberalism: the religion".

Tragic.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Imagine not believing in God and becoming... a humanist. 0 personality. 0 soul. 0 imagination. Literally "White liberalism: the religion".

Tragic.
            There is an alternative to that line of thinking.

Who wants to be a moral sheep coerced into being humane by fear?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

There is an alternative to that line of thinking.

Who wants to be a moral sheep coerced into being humane by fear?
              If you are "coerced into being humane" then you are doing it wrong. Truly finding God makes you want to be more humane.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                If you are "coerced into being humane" then you are doing it wrong. Truly finding God makes you want to be more humane.
                I disagree that in order to be a humane and compassionate human being it is necessary to believe in a construct premised somewhat loosely on an ancient near eastern deity.

I would also contend that some versions of the Christian god are coercive, i.e. Believe in me or face the eternal torment to which I will commit you.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I disagree that in order to be a humane and compassionate human being it is necessary to believe in a construct premised somewhat loosely on an ancient near eastern deity.
                  Well then I guess it is a good thing nobody made that assertion

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  I would also contend that some versions of the Christian god are coercive, i.e. Believe in me or face the eternal torment to which I will commit you.
                  Have you ever asked a devout Christian if they feel in any way coerced to do good? When you find God your outlook and attitude change.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well then I guess it is a good thing nobody made that assertion
                    The comment was made "Imagine not believing in God" and I assume that the god of which Darth Executor wrote was a version of the Abrahamic deity.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Have you ever asked a devout Christian if they feel in any way coerced to do good?
                    That depends on what you consider to be a "devout Christian".

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    When you find God your outlook and attitude change.
                    Judging from much of the the behaviour I have come across on various religious sites on the web I can only opine that if that is indeed the case, it is generally not a "change" for the better.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

[...]

Judging from much of the the behaviour I have come across on various religious sites on the web I can only opine that if that is indeed the case, it is generally not a "change" for the better.
                      That you receive a less than welcoming response wherever you go is certainly of no surprise.

Comment

That you receive a less than welcoming response wherever you go is certainly of no surprise.

Did I specifically mention behaviour towards myself?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As to the rest of my post, what do you consider to be a "devout Christian"? And how do you consider finding God has improved your outlook and attitude towards the world and your fellow human beings?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As to the rest of my post, what do you consider to be a "devout Christian"? And how do you consider finding God has improved your outlook and attitude towards the world and your fellow human beings?
                            You shoulda met him BEFORE he became a Christian!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              You shoulda met him BEFORE he became a Christian!
                              And I tend to be nicer online

And yet, I tend to get along with most everyone.

Comment

I will confess that age and life experience have significantly affected me in the negative direction since the early years after my conversion in early 1980.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X