Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think HA is an android. She's full of poop.

Comment

• What would be the purpose behind an atheist desiring to be a "chaplain" for anything? They have no spiritual advice to give, except from a humanistic perspective, which is absolutely not helpful for someone looking for spiritual guidance.

Is there a deeper motive, like to persuade people that their faith is useless, and the position allows that sort of opportunity for indoctrination of their own beliefs on weak or baby-faithed persons?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        What would be the purpose behind an atheist desiring to be a "chaplain" for anything? They have no spiritual advice to give, except from a humanistic perspective, which is absolutely not helpful for someone looking for spiritual guidance.

Is there a deeper motive, like to persuade people that their faith is useless, and the position allows that sort of opportunity for indoctrination of their own beliefs on weak or baby-faithed persons?
        I think it provides them with a position of authority with no real responsibility.

They hold rank, but never command.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I actually added that just for you, because I knew you wouldn't be capable of resisting.

But yes, there actually is...

old-english-cans.jpg
          "Malt Liquor"? That would not meet the Reinheitsgebot regulations.

The English of Bunyan is the English of all your "little old ancestors".
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I miss Mononoke.
            Improve your aim!
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

"Malt Liquor"? That would not meet the Reinheitsgebot regulations.

The English of Bunyan is the English of all your "little old ancestors".
              Yeah, we cleaned it up and made it understandable to all German cat lady internet s.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think it provides them with a position of authority with no real responsibility.

They hold rank, but never command.
                There are a lot of jobs that would provide them with that. I just somehow think there is something deeper in the mindset that would prompt an atheist to even thing about taking a "chaplain" position.

And to explain to those that may not understand, it goes back to my belief that there is an underlying purpose from the ruler of this present age to do whatever he can to undermine the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There are a lot of jobs that would provide them with that. I just somehow think there is something deeper in the mindset that would prompt an atheist to even thing about taking a "chaplain" position.

And to explain to those that may not understand, it goes back to my belief that there is an underlying purpose from the ruler of this present age to do whatever he can to undermine the gospel of Jesus Christ.
                  It's just the natural progression of universities that once were very much founded on God's principles, and have long since lost their way, yes?

Satan loves taking that which was devoted to God and perverting its mission and purpose.

Comment

It's just the natural progression of universities that once were very much founded on God's principles, and have long since lost their way, yes?

Satan loves taking that which was devoted to God and perverting its mission and purpose.
                    Yuh.

Comment

Yeah, we cleaned it up and made it understandable to all German cat lady internet s.
                      Bearing in mind that compared to the history of England, America still has some way to go and Longfellow, Emerson, Thoreau, Dickinson, and Hawthorne [to name a few] still carried the torch of the English language!
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I disagree. Reading the article I think this is quite pertinent.

The reasons that more young Americans are disaffiliating in the world’s most religious developed country are varied. The Notre Dame sociologist Christian Smith attributes the trend partly to the growing alliance between the Republican Party and the Christian right, a decline of trust in institutions, growing skepticism of religion in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and a shift away from traditional family structures that centered on churchgoing.

Mr. Epstein’s community has tapped into the growing desire for meaning without faith in God. “Being able to find values and rituals but not having to believe in magic, that’s a powerful thing,” said A.J. Kumar, who served as the president of a Harvard humanist graduate student group that Mr. Epstein advised.

Other Harvard chaplains have applauded Mr. Epstein’s efforts to provide a campus home for those who are religiously unattached, skeptical but still searching. Some said his selection to lead the group, following its previous Jewish leader, seemed obvious.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Satan loves taking that which was devoted to God and perverting its mission and purpose
                        Given Mr Epstein's religious background that remark might be considered a little unfortunate.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I disagree. Reading the article I think this is quite pertinent.

The reasons that more young Americans are disaffiliating in the world’s most religious developed country are varied. The Notre Dame sociologist Christian Smith attributes the trend partly to the growing alliance between the Republican Party and the Christian right, a decline of trust in institutions, growing skepticism of religion in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and a shift away from traditional family structures that centered on churchgoing.

Mr. Epstein’s community has tapped into the growing desire for meaning without faith in God. “Being able to find values and rituals but not having to believe in magic, that’s a powerful thing,” said A.J. Kumar, who served as the president of a Harvard humanist graduate student group that Mr. Epstein advised.

Other Harvard chaplains have applauded Mr. Epstein’s efforts to provide a campus home for those who are religiously unattached, skeptical but still searching. Some said his selection to lead the group, following its previous Jewish leader, seemed obvious.

Given Mr Epstein's religious background that remark might be considered a little unfortunate.
                          Nothing in your little rant discusses why anyone would think that an atheist would make a good chaplain. Let him be a social worker if they want "a campus home for those who are religiously unattached, skeptical but still searching."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Nothing in your little rant discusses why anyone would think that an atheist would make a good chaplain. Let him be a social worker if they want "a campus home for those who are religiously unattached, skeptical but still searching."
                            Since when does one sentence followed by a quote from your own cited article constitute a "rant"? You do have an unfortunate habit of misusing your own language.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What kind of sick pervert are you that you can joke about Epstein's hideous and horrific behavior?

Comment

What kind of sick pervert are you that you can joke about Epstein's hideous and horrific behavior?
                                I am referring to the new chaplain at Harvard. Not Jeffrey, or for that matter, Jacob.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X