Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Even if the guy has the best intent, it isn't likely to turn out very well.
    Would it create more difficulty than a Baptist going to a Salvation Army chaplain?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Would it create more difficulty than a Baptist going to a Salvation Army chaplain?
      I would say not even close --- the Salvation Army chaplain would understand that the basics are what's important.

The old “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And yet nobody but you mentioned it, because everyone else knew exactly what I meant. Showing you do indeed have difficulty understanding simple conversations. Or you are trolling. Pick one.
        I repeat that I understood what was written. Apparent eschatological and arcane homiletics is another matter.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's a tough read because of the olde English, but there is a neat "easy read" called Little Pilgrim's Progress. I use that as the basis for a series of Children's messages, each week building up to ... "and then, the HUNGRY LIONS roared and..... oh, would you look at that... we've run out of time, so be sure to come back next week".
          I had a version that had the original version on the left side with the modern translation on the right (same with Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) back when I still lived with my parents. IIRC, it was just a slow read that I just set down and never picked back up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            I repeat that I understood what was written. Apparent eschatological and arcane homiletics is another matter.
            So basically you are like some AI robot that can only understand the literal words written as looked up in a dictionary? That's pretty much what I was saying. You lack the ability to read the subtext and context of a written conversation to glean the meaning of the author. You also seem to lack a developed sense of humor which goes along with such wooden literalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I had a version that had the original version on the left side with the modern translation on the right (same with Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) back when I still lived with my parents. IIRC, it was just a slow read that I just set down and never picked back up.
              Yup, it was a slog. I did one of my major papers in seminary on it -- "All the characters in Pilgrim's Progress".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So basically you are like some AI robot that can only understand the literal words written as looked up in a dictionary? That's pretty much what I was saying. You lack the ability to read the subtext and context of a written conversation to glean the meaning of the author. You also seem to lack a developed sense of humor which goes along with such wooden literalism.
                That would explain a lot wrt her interaction with me given my free use of colloquialisms and slang as well as my propensity to use a thesaurus as well as dictionary as a punching bag.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I miss Mononoke.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You appear to have either entirely misconstrued or deliberately misinterpreted what I have written.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I would say not even close --- the Salvation Army chaplain would understand that the basics are what's important.

The old “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”
                      I don't include baptism in the list of adiaphora, but that's pretty much a side issue here.
                      There are Islamic and Jewish chaplains, and from what I understand, the chaplain's duty is pretty much a matter of counselling rather than a religious vocation. For that, no particular religious belief should be an impediment.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I don't include baptism in the list of adiaphora, but that's pretty much a side issue here.
                        There are Islamic and Jewish chaplains, and from what I understand, the chaplain's duty is pretty much a matter of counselling rather than a religious vocation. For that, no particular religious belief should be an impediment.
                        Islam would be a problem for me, but I have never met a Jewish Rabbi who didn't appear to have a good grasp on what Christians actually believe.

Comment

It's a tough read because of the olde English,
                          There is no such thing as "olde English".

Caedmon's Hymn and Beowulf were written in Anglo Saxon [Old English]. Langland's Piers Ploughman and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales were written in Middle English and Bunyan was writing in what is, to all intents and purposes, Modern English.

Shakespeare did not write in "olde" English either.
                          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 09-10-2021, 01:37 PM.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Caedmon's Hymn and Beowulf were written in Anglo Saxon [Old English]. Langland's Piers Ploughman and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales were written in Middle English and Bunyan was writing in what is, to all intents and purposes, Modern English.

Shakespeare did not write in "olde" English either.
                            All of which is usually known to people who choose to write "olde English" as a tongue-in-cheek expression. It is a colloquial expression for early-Modern English/Elizabethan English/Shakespearean English, which is what even people who don't know the details refer to when they write "olde English."
                            Last edited by tabibito; 09-10-2021, 01:44 PM.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You appear to have either entirely misconstrued or deliberately misinterpreted what I have written.
                              That's rich.

...And by "rich" I don't mean "wealthy."

Comment

I actually added that just for you, because I knew you wouldn't be capable of resisting.

But yes, there actually is...

old-english-cans.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-10-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X