Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An atheist chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Seriously though. Suppose that someone is having a crisis of faith and is turning to a chaplain for support and advice and...
    It would be a very bad situation, that's for sure.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It would be a very bad situation, that's for sure.
      Even if the guy has the best intent, it isn't likely to turn out very well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even if the guy has the best intent, it isn't likely to turn out very well.
        Yuh.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Will I?
          Yes

Is that a threat?
          It's a sad reality.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seriously though. Suppose that someone is having a crisis of faith and is turning to a chaplain for support and advice and...
            How can he/she do any other than to try to convince the person that their hope lies in their own selves, or the council of man?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              How can he/she do any other than to try to convince the person that their hope lies in their own selves, or the council of man?
              Recite some memorized/canned responses they learned in case of that sort of situation?

I mean, that's about the best I can think of off hand.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Which is exactly what this guy says in the article in the op. Something to the effect that we don't look to a deity but to our own devices. Not an exact quote because I don't feel like going and copying it.

Just in case HA doesn't understand what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Which is exactly what this guy says in the article in the op. Something to the effect that we don't look to a deity but to our own devices. Not an exact quote because I don't feel like going and copying it.

Just in case HA doesn't understand what I'm saying.
                  From Pilgrim's Progress, he would be Mr. Worldly Wiseman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    No that is not my argument.

Internet fora rely on the written word. On occasion people need to express themselves with more clarity and [ideally] read through their posts prior to hitting the Post Reply option. Your own little embarrassment whereby you included Africa as a "country" while mildly amusing serves as an example of such carelessness.

I understand that you were referring to regions of the world but what you wrote was erroneous and your little faux pas could have served as the butt of many a derogatory joke against you.
                    Only your overly literal reading of someone's post would find a problem with my post where I was listing areas with a lack of COVID vaccinations. Which just goes to show once again that your problem with understanding what people mean in their posts is solely YOUR problem, because others don't seem to have that problem. You do one of two things: you either read what someone writes in an over-the-top literal manner and misconstrue what they are saying, or you take something they say and immediately jump to some unwarranted interpretation of what you think they really meant. Other people don't seem to have that problem. So either you have some mental disability that makes it hard for you to glean meaning from simple statements and conversations, or you are just doing it as a trolling tactic. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

More like a promise of a fact.
                      A fact? Since when has any empirical evidence been produced or demonstrated concerning post-mortem events?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Only your overly literal reading of someone's post would find a problem with my post where I was listing areas with a lack of COVID vaccinations. Which just goes to show once again that your problem with understanding what people mean in their posts is solely YOUR problem, because others don't seem to have that problem. You do one of two things: you either read what someone writes in an over-the-top literal manner and misconstrue what they are saying, or you take something they say and immediately jump to some unwarranted interpretation of what you think they really meant. Other people don't seem to have that problem. So either you have some mental disability that makes it hard for you to glean meaning from simple statements and conversations, or you are just doing it as a trolling tactic. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.
                        Yet, she can make a glaringly false statement, and when called on it, she can't possibly bring herself to "yeah, you're right, I misspoke....".

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Now you will be accused of derailing this thread.

I made my position quite clear in my reply to you on the relevant thread and used your minor typo on this thread as an example of carelessness.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

From Pilgrim's Progress, he would be Mr. Worldly Wiseman.
                            I never finished that book

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Now you will be accused of derailing this thread.

I made my position quite clear in my reply to you on the relevant thread and used your minor typo on this thread as an example of carelessness.
                              And yet nobody but you mentioned it, because everyone else knew exactly what I meant. Showing you do indeed have difficulty understanding simple conversations. Or you are trolling. Pick one.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I never finished that book
                                It's a tough read because of the olde English, but there is a neat "easy read" called Little Pilgrim's Progress. I use that as the basis for a series of Children's messages, each week building up to ... "and then, the HUNGRY LIONS roared and..... oh, would you look at that... we've run out of time, so be sure to come back next week".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X